Dell Inspiron 5100 dead

This laptop was apparently working and then wouldn't powerr up. When powered on, "A" LED blinks 10 times over about 14 seconds. The fan spins during this time and then everything shuts off. The disk drive never spins up as far as I can tell and the display never comes on.

Swapping either RAM module into slot A has the same effect.

Any suggestions other than to put it out of its misery welcomed. :)

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

powered

is

in the

May be a dead hard drive controller, try swapping a different drive.

Reply to
Michael Ware

Sam Goldwasser wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@red.seas.upenn.edu:

Hi Sam,

The Service Manual is on the Dell website:

The Owner's Manual is here:

The System Information Guide is here:

df

Unfortunately, none of them tells you what ten blinks of the LED means!

Reply to
Jim Land

Removing the hard drive makes no difference.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Thanks for the links. I haven't really convinced myself whether the

10 blinks are and error code or simply they just fit in the 15 seconds before power shuts off. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: