How to bypass PIP module?

I have a Magnavox #RP2748. It has vertical roll and picture problems. I opened the PIP module to inspect for leaky caps, but OK. I did resolder some suspect joints. This helped the picture stability not fix it. I would like to remove the module, but not sure which pins to jump. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Golf

There's a lot of info on this all over the internet. It depends on how bad the PIP board is. Mitsubishi PIP module Part # 930B552 Sky.

If you have decided that the pip board is scrap, remove "VP" plug from pip module. On the plug that you removed install .01 from pin

7 to pin 9. install 4.7/35v positive to pin 5 negative to pin 11. Put the altered plug back on the chassis. of course don't reinstall the pip board.

Repair may be possible by changing C7001;4.7/35, C7014,C7026, C7036. All are 4.7/35. May need to install a jumper from C7001+side to Q7007 emitter

This can be quite a big job! Add two 22uf @ 50 volts non-polarized capacitors accross pins 5, & 11, & 7 & 9. or.....Remove the PIP board and replace C7001=4.7UF,35v and all of the smt electrolytic caps on that board. Clean the board with alcohol

plug in a 4.7ufd @ 35v filter cap (+)at pin 5,(-)at pin 11. plug in a .01(any voltage) between pin 7 and 9. Just plug the caps into the socket, where the PIP board was mounted(they don't need to be soldered). Just don't let the leads from the two capacitors touch, as they cross each other. Wire a 4.7uf 50v cap from pin 5 to pin 11(pos. to pin 5), and a .01uf 50v ceramic disc from pin 7 to pin 9.

Remove "Vp" Plug From Pip Mod.Install .01 From Pin 7 To Pin 9 Install

4.7/35-50v;Pos.To Pin 5,Neg. To Pin 11

Mitsubishi tech-support, Change C7001 (4.7uF35V), C7014 (47uF35V), C7026 (4.7uF35V), and C7036 (4.7Uf35V). Due to etch damage, install a jumper from C7001+ to Q7007 emitter.

Extension cables for troubleshooting the module are: P/N 859C432040 (11 pin) $15 P/N 859C432030 (13 pin) $15

Skype_man

The guy's talking Magnavox, not Mitsubishi :-). Mitsubishi has the PIP problems, on magnavox the procedure is to find the problem in the video or power supply, not a PIP problem.

Reply to
RonKZ650

Doh!!! Sorry for the wrong info, just trying to help. Good to know though. Mitsubishi's are great moneymakers. And great T.V.'s. Sky.

Reply to
Skype_man

This is an X1 chassis :

Replace C431 : 100uf 250V

You will see it probably a bit bulged on the top.

-- ========================== Jeff Stielau Shoreline Electronics Repair

344 East Main Street Clinton,CT 06413 860-399-1861 860-664-3535 (fax) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net ========================
Reply to
Shoreline Electronics

In the unlikely event c431 doesn't solve the problem, there is a 4 volt electrolytic cap in the PIP module which can cause the same condition. I don't remember the value. Think it was 220uf. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Thanks alot guys. I will check into this when I get home. I do remember seeing the 220uf in the PIP module. I have resoldered this cap, and got better results as previously stated. I will swap this cap, and C431. Will post a follow up. Thanks again.

Reply to
Golf

Thanks anyway Skype. This is good info. I have heard about the Mitsubishi PIPS problems.

Reply to
Golf

Chuck, it happens for this particular problem you were right. I removed this cap, after it failed to check good for value. Rechecked, and the capacitance was higher than my meter could check (1000uf+). The cap looked good except, looking at the bottom of it you could see a slight green tint on the legs at the base, indicating leakage. I knew this was it when I saw this. I replaced the cap, re-adjusted the AFT, and AGC which I had fiddled with prior, and it looks like new. Thanks to all who replied. You folks definitely know your stuff.

Reply to
Golf