Mitsubishi TV problem

My parents have an old(1996} Mitsubishi console tv. Recently the picture went out except for a thin white line running horizontally through the center of the tube. The rest of the picture was black. The tv still had sound. A repairman came out twice to try and fix it but still has the problem. My parents like the tv because of the wood console. I want them to buy a new one, but they are old fashioned. They don't like the look of modern tvs. What could be the problem with it, a bad tube maybe? Perhaps some loose wires?

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Try a different repairman?

Reply to
Jim Land

vertical scan failure

keep guessing.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not an uncommon scenario. Lots of techs assume that a vertical failure is just that, something in the output stage. This is especially true when you find the leaky caps and perhaps a blown output IC that these sets usually have. The problem is that there is more wrong with the set, likely the 12v supply, at least. These sets tend to have leaky caps in several areas. If you don't get them all and repair the corossion and bad solder joints, you will have more problems soon, and sometimes you won't fix the immediate problem.

We will not service these without going over every polar electrolytic cap for leakage, and testing the ones in key areas for ESR. Customers often balk at the higher cost of repair, especially when some yahoo garage tech says he can fix it for $100 after hearing it has a vertical problem. The fact is, if you just look to the vertical output circuit like you would expect, and don't pay attention to the rest, you will not fix the set reliably, perhaps not at all.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 17880 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

shareyourknowledge

Take out the old chassis/TV and install a new TV in the case. Might take some woodwork and you parents will have a new TV in the case they like. There are lots of possibilities.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

JR North

What stupid idea. The mits CRTs have held up exceptionally well. If the set looked good before the failure it is well worth repairing.

Leonard

Take out the old chassis/TV and install a new TV in the case. Might take some woodwork and you parents will have a new TV in the case they like. There are lots of possibilities.

Bob AZ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 17986 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Option 1. a) Remove the chassis and and tube and properly dispose of them b) Measure the inside and the opening for the screen.. c) But an LCD digital flat panel TV with tuner to fit the opening.

3) Make sure to leave off the rear panel and make openings in the bottom and front as necessary for good ventilation and so the IR remote will work.
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P