how do you get access to a laptop motherboard?

I have just frazzled a 3 year old toshiba laptop in a bad BIOS flash.

How can I open my laptop up to get hold of the motherboard, to replace the BIOS chip... or is it a fools errand that will end with a soldered chip, and an expensive bill?

-niel

Reply to
cyanescent

Oh oh !

Usually a thousand tiny screws AFAIK.

If it's a flash chip ( which it must be ) it's likely soldered on the pcb. The days when you could drop in a new Eprom have gone it seems.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

How long is a piece of string? It varies from model to model. There's often lots of screws, some concealed under trim panels. Have a look on Toshiba's website and you may be lucky and find an 'explosion' parts chart showing the dismantling procedure.

Likely. If you don't have access to decent tools and antistatic wristbands, and aren't experienced with laptop repair, don't open it yourself. The cheapest option might be to look out for an identical laptop on eBay with a cracked screen and swap the parts around.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Don't even think of proceeding without obtaining the hardware maintenance / service manual. You will probably find it on the net for free download if you look hard enough.

Some motherboards aren't actually that expensive - some are sold on ebay (UK/US). Stripping down and rebuilding laptops is an interesting hobby of mine, they aren't as difficult as they first look. Work slowly, avoid breaking plastic tabs, don't create excess static charges, lose screws etc...

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Normally you remove *many* teeny little screws and assemblies until you get down to the board. Do write down where each screw goes or you'll have some leftover when you're done.

Reply to
James Sweet

And/or take pictures or film the whole procedure on a camcorder.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D