Compaq laptop motherboard problem

Hi all, I'm new to the group, but in searching for an answer to my problem, this group came up, so I thought I would give it a try. I have a Compaq EVO N1000V laptop that is about 3 yrs old. The motherboard has been replaced once about a year and a half ago for this same problem, but the warranty has since expired. One of the small diodes (I am assuming here) has burnt completely off of the solder & is mostly disintegrated from the arcing. There are no identifying marks on these tiny chips that I can find. The chips that are next to it & appears to be the same measures 0.109" x 0.138" & are soldered to the board by only 2 points (one at either end of the long side). I suspect that this is part of the charging system, since I am getting no power to the board. I am not a "board repairman" but am a A+ certified technician with all sorts of pc repair experience under my belt. If I could determine the type of chips needed, I could solder them on myself! I would also be willing to send the board to someone for repair, but have had a rough time finding anyone qualified! Could some of you guys help me identify the chips, or direct me to a repair shop with a good reputation? I would like to find a shop local to the north Atlanta area if possible. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!!!

Thanks Brian

Reply to
The Stovalls

You want a repair shop to repair to component level a laptop motherboard? Compaq doesn't even fix them to component level and does not have schematics or individual parts available. The motherboard is the replacement part.

Since motherboard manufactures do not support having them repaired to component level, no wonder you are having a hard time finding anyone willing to even touch it.

You best option is to try and find one on ebay that works but has a broken display, second option is to try and complain about the Compaq quality and try and get them to repair it for free as it has been repaired once for a motherboard failure. Obviously the written warranty does not apply but the implied warranty does if it is in fact a repeat failure of the same part, the motherboard.

Reply to
dkuhajda