How do they manage the input, what's the purpose of the output?

How do they manage the input, what's the purpose of the output?

When the only input port(s) are Micro-USB or USB-C how would they manage other than 5 volt inputs? But it says Input: (QC 2.0) 5V/2A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A

And how and for what purpose would there be 9 and 12v outputs? It ways Output: (QC 2.0) 5.1V/2.4A, 9V/1.6A, 12V/1.2A (Voltage/current levels supported by devices are automatically detected and adapted to.)

Are 9 or 12 volt devices about to come on the market? Have they done so already when I wasn't looking?

As to how, that is easy, by coming up with cables that are usb and one end and something else (???, barrel connectors?) at the other. They don't make those now, do they?

My car runs on 12 volts. Will this power my car?

Reply to
micky

USB-3.1/USB-C can work at those other voltages. Voltage is 5V until the devices on both ends of the cable agree about what voltge to provide.

The other device (or custom cable) would have to be able to communicate with the source to request a voltage other than 5V.

Your car uses just 1.2A?

Reply to
notX

Thanks I read the whole thing.

Reply to
micky

Very clever.

Monoprice doesnt' seem to have these, but searching amazon on USB to 12v power cable yields a bunch, like this one.

designed for tablets PC, big machine, big speaker, external battery, power bank etc but only 5V and no mention of laptops, and no barrel that will fit a Dell (which has a thin center pin)

I also found this:

38 different tips. I thought I was doing good with 10.

I can't find the right cable, but my Dell laptop needs more than 12v iirc and the Acer Aspire used less but still more than 12v I think, so maybe I shouldn't look any longer.

I have to check the owners manual.

Reply to
micky

A car battery can be charged slowly on 1.2A, but requires a bit more than 12v to do so.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr