Purpose of device???

I have a Zenith SR2568 TV that has a device near where the power cord connects to the PWB. It is thin (1/4"), and is something like 1 1/2h x

2 inches wide. It appears to contain brass inside the plastic cover with gaps of about 1/8 inch, each terminal connecting to line, neutral, and chassis ground. From what I see, it looks like it might be a spark gap of sorts for line surges since it is connected to the inputs.

Is that what this is, and is it REALLY effective?? I would think the voltage on the line would be so great everything would be destroyed by the time the gap was crossed? Thanks.

I do not currently have any problems with the set, just curious.

Reply to
Ken

I`m not sure but think that is an attempt at a lightning arrestor .

Reply to
Ken G.

a pic would help, the above is too ambiguous

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sorry, I can't help with a picture. From where it is at, I think Ken G. is correct. I just did not think such a spark gap in the A/C power input would do much to protect the rest of the TV. My purpose was to see if someone who regularly worked on TV's was familiar with such a device.

Reply to
Ken

If it had capacitors inside it would be less unusual.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I have seen many of those . As i remember it has a plastic cover with slots to see into it . I suppose it may stop some lightning strikes but not all . I have seen several lightning hit tv sets and in some it dont stop for no one .. fried foils all over the place and maybe an ic chip or two blown its top . Idaho has some pretty good lightning storms .

Reply to
Ken G.

That sounds exactly like what I was trying to describe. I was surprised that it wasn't completely covered somehow, even though it DOES say HOT around the device and it is connected to line voltage.

Reply to
Ken