HITACHI V-353F OSCILLOSCOPE V-353-F

There is that!

But, one of the nice things about doing "this" as a hobby, is that I have plausible deniability when it comes to expertise. But, over the last 45+/- years, some stuff has stuck.

I have started a new job in a hospital/med-school setting. One of the researchers develops and makes artificial hearts - we had a long discussion on bearings the other day.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Peter, if I ever need an artificial heart, please let the researcher know I want mine with good old Merican bearings. The Chinese bearings are of notoriously poor quality.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Hi Jeff,

I'm obviously late to this party but I found something that might help. The following link is to a manual for the Hitachi V-152F. Judging from the front panel layout, I think it might be a stripped down 15 MHz version of your friend's scope. A schematic is included:

SS

Reply to
Sofa Slug

Aero in Tottenham Court Road. It weighed a ton and I never did get it to work.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Was that the one with the sloping top part of the front panel, like a Mansard roof (or something)? I remember Z&I Aero too, though I don't think I would have visited London much in the early 1960s, beyond school-leaving interviews...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

he following link is to a manual for the Hitachi V-152F."

Might help. Engineers to not reinvent the wheel for every different model.

Why does that display like a Wordpress page when it is in Dropbox ? I dropp ed Dropbox because it is not compatible with my computers and because they did away with the simple "Get Public URL" which would take a browser direct ly to a file and in fact could be used to host webpages, which I did. Small , but pages with links nonetheless.

Reply to
jurb6006

The following link is to a manual for the Hitachi V-152F."

.

pped Dropbox because it is not compatible with my computers and because the y did away with the simple "Get Public URL" which would take a browser dire ctly to a file and in fact could be used to host webpages, which I did. Sma ll, but pages with links nonetheless.

Here's a V -209 and a V-302. Not much to them:

nload.html

John-Del

That might help. Looking at three of them can get you some insight into the engineer's head.

I will do that tomorrow. Right now I am pretty well inebriated.

No, actually drunk.

Tomorrow. owe I thinkI amaboutto get themunchies.

Reply to
jurb6006

Not as far as I remember. Picture of 339A here:

Manual here:

Being a Londoner, I could spend quite a bit of time in Tottenham Court Road (and Lisle Street). There were quite a few "government surplus" shops selling WWII stuff, including some USA Tx and Rx units. I remember buying something with acorn valves; IIRC, a BC-624 VHF Rx. This was for 100 - 156MHz (or should I say Mc/s in old money?!). It was bought to scrap; at the time I couldn't even find out what it needed to operate, other than it had a socket marked "dynamotor".

Not much surplus around in the UK now, although a year or so ago I got an ex-Vulcan Green Satin ground radar doppler unit as a Christmas present for a Vulcan enthusiast. I wonder where it had been stored since it was scrapped in 1984? No semiconductors, by the way - just submin valves. No doubt better at surviving an EMP from a hydrogen bomb, but would there be anywhere to land?

--

Jeff
Reply to

I have a TEK 465B. When I was learning to use it I was really jazzed when I watched the discharge of some capacitance in a CNC control I was diagnosing. I don't know how well a digital scope would show that as I have no experience with digital scopes. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I have a 465B and one of the 200 MHz storage scopes. One thing the storage scope will allow me to do is store a trace on the screen for a one shot event.

One thing I can not get the storage scope to do is when I put signals into the x and y axis display for a circle or rotating circle to compair very close frequencies. The storage scope is very poor for that while the old analog 465B works very well. Main reason for wanting to do this is calibrating a time base at 10 MHz from a RF service monitor to a GPS standard. I know there are several other ways around this and have used them.

It may be because it is an inexpensive storage scope, a Hanteck one for about $ 300. Not sure if a more expensive one would do better or not for this.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

for this. "

I think it is a limitation of the design. Digital scopes simply are not the same.

Reply to
jurb6006

he same.

That's crap. I can make my digital scope do anything an analog or storage s cope can do, and much more, better, faster, and save the waveforms indefini tely. I can make it act exactly like an analog scope if I want, with much h igher resolution, bandwidth, and I'm not limited to seeing one width of the screen. In every way including triggering, the digital scope is more sophi sticated and capable. I frankly can't imagine a reason to go back and use a n analog scope.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Oh yeah ? let's see the dot moving across the screen at 1 second per divisi on and demonstrate it principle to students with a battery. I want to see i t. A continuous dot moving slowly across the screen. I would bet a case of beer that you can't. Even a raster scan scope can't do it as far as I have seen.

Do you have a really special one ? If not, it will blip blip blip refreshin g the display and will not give you the dot moving slowly across the screen . If I am wrong, please supply me the make and model and I will reconsider and possibly retract.

Reply to
jurb6006

sion and demonstrate it principle to students with a battery. I want to see it. A continuous dot moving slowly across the screen. I would bet a case o f beer that you can't. Even a raster scan scope can't do it as far as I hav e seen.

ing the display and will not give you the dot moving slowly across the scre en. If I am wrong, please supply me the make and model and I will reconside r and possibly retract.

One of my daily use digital scopes at work is an old Tek TDS460a, it'll sca n across the screen as slow as 20 seconds/division. It's not a crude dot, i t's a real digitized scan with infinite persistence. I can easily demonstra te your simple battery voltage test. It also has a 400 MHz bandwidth for do ing actual useful things.

How is a moving dot superior to a captured scan that one can actually see e ven after the signal is gone, measure with cursors, perform math functions on, overlay onto other measurements, store as a reference for recall later, label the axis's, print out, convert to a datastream, export to a file, re create on a PC,..... ????? This is a very old CRT digital scope, the more m odern LCD scopes are even more capable.

Analog scopes had their day. That day is over. Test drive any modern digita l scope and you'll never look back.

You could still drive a Model T cross country, but would you?

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

My digital scope is an inexpensive Hantek and it draws a line like a pencil going across the page. At very low sweep speeds like one second or even less it makes it eaasy to see a waveform where the 465B with just the blip going across makes it difficult to tell what the waveform is.

Still my gripe is the Lissajous paterns will not display very well on the digital scope.

As in most cases it is good to have a choice between analog and digital test equipment. Sometimes one seems to suit the situation better than another.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't really need a digital scope, and from what I have read about them 100 MHz is pretty low for a lot of work. But the Hantek ones do get good reviews and are fairly cheap. So I might get one just for fun. Eric

Reply to
etpm

can across the screen as slow as 20 seconds/division."

In my albeit limited experience with sampling scopes I have never seen one do that. I also noticed like noise in the trace that was indiscernable whic h I thought would be on an analog scope.

I guess I'll have to test drive one. Speaking of driving :

Yes I would and I would love every minute of it. But I admiot that it would not be a daily driver.

Not as long as they work. You know there are people who can't stand an LCD TV. I have read that some have a wider optical response to the spectrum, pe rhaps that is the reason. But they either stick with CRT TVs or buy a plasm a, I guess because it is actually a phosphor screen.

But so far I have never met a digital scope I liked. Of course that may cha nge in time.

Reply to
jurb6006

My digital scope is an inexpensive Hantek and it draws a line like a pencil going across the page. At very low sweep speeds like one second or even less it makes it eaasy to see a waveform where the 465B with just the blip going across makes it difficult to tell what the waveform is"

As I told Terry S., I have never seen a digital scope do that. And emulatin g a variable persistence CRT, well that is cool as well. i still like the o ld scopes. If I were a billionaire I would but an older car. A 1960s or 70 s high powered gas guzzling monster that should be licensed as a deadly wea pon. My first car was a 1970 Olds Toronado, I still had passing gear at 105 MPH. I know newer cars with much smaller engines can go just as fast, but this thing did it effortlessly. P{ush a 4 cylinder to those limits and you are beating on it. Variable valve timing and direct cylinder injection is n ice but it has thousands more moving parts. To move is to wear.

Maybe I am an old fuddy duddy, but I like it, and the old music. I welcome a lawsuit from RIAA because the gigs of music I downloaded used to be in pu blic domain. In fact even movies. Everything I like is old. New and improve d is an anethma to me.

Reply to
jurb6006

It was programmed to. By you? Someone else? Malware?

Reply to
bruce2bowser