Hitachi MICLXU

My brother brought me his Hitachi 27" TV to fix .... he said he was watching it and the pictured collapsed into a single horizontal line. I pulled the chassis (it's a MICLXU) and found the vertical output IC had blown (literally). I replaced it with a LA7838 and nosed around the nearby components, finding a couple of caps that tested bad with an ESR meter. Didn't find anything else that looked bad, nothing burnt, etc. I ESRer just about all the caps I could find, but only two near the vertical output IC tested bad.

When I reinstalled the board into the TV and fired it up I get a nice picture, except the pincusion is out of wack. Slightly bowed in on both sides. I looked around on the chassis and found a single adjustment called "pincusion", but turning it from one end to the other made only a tiny change in the pincusion.

Is there a service menu on this chassis? I fooled around with the front panel controls and found that if I turn on the set while holding down the "input select" button that the screen would display a large black box in the center of the picture, taking up almost all the screen (the picture could be seen in the outer boarder). However, the only thing I could do with this box was to move it to the left and the right with the remote's left and right arrows.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

-Bill

Reply to
bill

I've seen connection problems around the TO220 style transistors . You may have bump on of these I beleive it has its own heat sink. Sorry its been 5 years since I work on tvs so I dont have a lot of detailed info.

Reply to
Doug