Hitachi C46TN no picture, Just 2 white dashes centre left screen

My very reliable 28 inch Nicam Hitachi TV suddenly gave up last Thursday, after 13 years without a problem. Well, it had one problem very common with this model - C46TN permanently displayed. (This is how I know the model number!) but after looking at Google, managed to press the right buttons to remove it!

So, apart from that, it's been fine! Now when you switch it on, you get sound, but no pictures. The screen stays black, apart from two white dashes in the centre left of the screen for a few seconds. I think this is the channel number being displayed (Although of course you can't read it!

If you press the Menu button, you used to get four coloured menu options. Now when you press menu, you get four coloured horizontal lines across the centre of the screen. It looks like the coloured menu logos have been squashed into a single line.

I've since bought a new TV, but before I throw my old telly out, is it possibly worth fixing? Anyone know what might possibly be wrong from the symptoms I've described? Is it the tube? Dry solder joint?

The TV is in perfect condition, with not a single mark on it. It just seems a shame to chuck it, although I realise that it's probably not worth anything to anyone now.

Cheers,

Matthew Long

Reply to
Matthew Long

If the picture tube was ood before this problem occured - that is you like the picture quality - then it is very much worth repair. Sounds like you lost vertical deflection. Could be dry/cracked solder joints, a few bad capacitors, a bad vertical output IC, a bad resistor or diode, or some combination of these.

If you have a competent technician repair it, it should not be too expensive. If you are capable of this type of repair yourself, troubleshoot the vertical section, and you should be watching TV really soon! Good Luck.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

"> If the picture tube was ood before this problem occured - that is you

Hiya, thanks for your reply. I only have limited knowledge, and no equipment to test it. I don't really know any decent technicians in our area. None that I'd trust anyway! I know most would charge a fee just to look at it! I have to be realistic, and think that I'd only get £50 - £60 if it was working. It does seem a shame, but I think it might be going to the dump! My new TV turns up tomorrow, so I need to make some space!

Matthew Long

Reply to
Matthew Long

See if anyone will take it for free to fix it and use it themself. If you have no test equipment there's really no hope of fixing it, there's got to be a decent tech in the area, sure they'll charge to look at it but they'll fix it too.

Reply to
James Sweet