Hitachi CT-7897BC brightness problem

I have a Hitachi CT-7897BC which has a really dark picture. the menu doesn't seem to have settings for brightness, unless their hidden lower in the menu, which I cannot access because my universal remote doesn't simulate the + and - buttons from the original remote(which I don't have). I've tried tweaking some of the adjusters inside. one seems to be focus, which makes it blurry or more clear depending on how you turn it, another seems to just make the picture more green. there are also several near the picture tube which are labeled as R- BKG G-BKG and B-BKG, and then two more which are R-Drive and B-Drive. it seems obvious enough what the rgb ones are, but nothing seems to make it brighter and darker. I've even tried simply turning up(and down) the rgb ones all together, hoping it would work like a computer. doesnt seem to. I know a novice shouldn't be poking around in a tv because their dangerous. but I've gotten other tv's to become brighter by playing with some of the adjustments before. I've never had a hitachi, this one was given to me. can anyone give me any advice? other than taking it to a repair shop, because I simply can't afford that right now.

Reply to
kronflux

try turn your color off and adjust your picture with the green red and blue controls get the best black and white picture and the turn up the screen on the flyback see how that works,

Reply to
sweet fellow123

tried that. seemed to help a little, but not noticably. I don't know much about tv's, but it seems like the flyback isn't doing its job. as I said..you adjust the bottom one, and the picture simply gets greener, or adjust the top one and it gets blurry. I've even tried everything at maximum. sounded like there was sparking or something going on when the bottom flyback adjustment was turned up all the way.. I dunno.. only sounded like it. didnt see anything. even with everything at maximum the picture isn't brighter at all. any ideas?

Reply to
kronflux