Hitachi C1719T TV with power(?) problems

Folks,

My daughter has a Hitachi model C1719T TV receiver with a problem. Nothing appears on the screen - it remains completely black. There's no sound either. I don't know if this screen has a cold cathode (do you get such TV tubes?), but I can't see any heater coming on, and I can't find any voltage around the tube base. The two numbers on this Philips tube are : A41EAM11X01 / TL2D063401. The set generates UHT, because I hear it whistle momentarily when the power is switched off.

Although I fixed my own TV several years ago (thanks to a Canadian guy called Sam - can't remember his surname - who was a regular contributor to the group!), I don't know much outside of the theory of TV's, and when I look at the board, I don't know enough to recognise where the various circuit elements are - and I don't have a schematic for it.

With the back of the board towards me and the components on the top, the mains cable comes in on the left side, with a fuse just beside it (not blown), but I can't even find the rectifier. Is it a 4-pin chip, or does it use discrete diodes? Is it near to the mains cable and the fuse? It would make sense!

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

--
WARNING: My e-mail return address is bogus to confuse the automated spam
address gatherers.

Likely the flyback transformer, but look here:

Rono

Thanks very much, Rono,

There's a fault listed on the same TV model on one of the links you gave, with the same basic symptom = "Dead". They call out a capacitor. It's a long shot (well, a medium-range shot, perhaps), but I'll check it.

All the Best,

Mike.

Reply to
Mike C

Thanks Art, but I think you're assuming a knowledge of TV's rather more than I have. It's difficult to take voltage readings without being able to identify the component groups that I'm measuring! Even on the systems I work on (mainframe-attached RAID arrays), I need a schematic, so in a TV, with which I am completely unfamiliar, I just don't know my way around enough to do it without one.

I think another contributor just may have offered something that may help, however.

Thanks for taking the time.

Mike.

The

set