help with pioneer fault codes plz?

I have a Pioneer system with a tape deck (CT-P930WR) which refuses to play tapes. Upon pressing the play button, it seems to attempt to play each side of both decks unsucessfully. While this is happening, the yellow led above the APSC button flashes 8 times. I assume this is a fault code that may help to reveal the problem...? I realise this is quite ancient by todays standards, but I have a couple of tapes I would love to transfer to CD, and this machine is the only thing I have with a 'line out'. It would be great if I could get it working again, if only briefly. Anyone possibly know what the code might mean?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave

Not sure if it'll be a fault code. Usually if a belt is slipping and doesn't shift the mechanism from mode to mode quick enough, the micro will detect the 'error' condition. Its also worth checking the switches along the top edge of the cassette since corroded contacts/ contact bounce will also cause problems

AW

Reply to
Cliff Top

I agree - belts the most likely problem.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked the switches and they seem fine. The belts, (of which I only see 1 per deck) seem fine too. The pinch roller moves into position, capstan rotates, BUT the spool drive sprockets(?) are locked in position and do not rotate. I'm struggling to recall whether both decks finally failed at exactly the same time, but I do remember a gradual overall failure. ie. click click clickety play! click click clickety No-play :(

Any more ideas?

Reply to
Dave

Look inside at the mechanism when the operation is supposed to start. Is the motor pulley rotating? Often the motor rotates but the flywheels don't turn because the belt(s) is somewhat slack. The flywheels are supposed to turn gears which lift the mech into place, therefore if a belt slips, the mech locks up, and you get the clicking as the unit keeps re-trying to load.

Alternatively, the motor might be bad - same symptom. Sometimes if the motor has shorted there will also be an open resistor in the power supply.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Thanks Mark, Belts seem fine, lots of stuff turning... apart from the tape spool drives. I can't turn these by hand, so I assume they are locked until everything alse moves into place... and that isn't quite happening. From what you said, it looks like a broken/worn-out part jamming the mechanism. I'll look into it some more.

Cheers,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave