Alright... no balony...

Sony's TV brand is spelled starting with two overlapping V's. Most think that this intends to be "WEGA". I think it is "VEGA". The manual and website are reported to state it IS VEGA. When doing a VEGA search, I see no association with Sony TV's, but I get swamped with WEGA associations.

Any thoughts on this confusion.

--
Dave M.
Reply to

Well my thought is that it's silly of them to use a logo like that which creates any sort of confusion.

Reply to
James Sweet

In working for Sony in the past, and doing their service support, I found that there is confusion all the way to the design group in Japan.

I was told by one person who worked in their promotions department that they are under the impression that the namw is VVEGA, with the two V's slightly overlapping each other to form a symbole at the same time.

Now, some confusion exists, because another promotions person told me that the first guy is wrong. He told me that it is a fancy W, with slightly overlappong tails in the center of it.

If you call them in Japan, I was told that you will get a different answer, depending on who you talk to.

In the end, this is a very good confusion, because it generates a mystery about the product's real name!

Most of the Sony employees from who,m I've met and spoke to, pronounced the set's name with a "W", and not a "V" sound, unless his mother tongue was from a language that has the "V" sound, but not the W sound.

And so, they are ciontinuing their TV names under their Wega trademark label.

And so... The confusion lives on!

Jerry Greenberg

Reply to
Jerry G.

It's pronounced the same way as Wagner or Wehrmacht, as it comes from the name of a German company that was acquired by Sony a few years back.

Reply to
stickyfox

-- Dave M.

That could easily be it!

Reply to
Dave M.

Yep. That is a German pronunciation. So, at least it sounds like a "v".

-- Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

When shopping for my WEGA back in 2000, I recall reading that Sony had taken the name from an astronomical body:

Ray L. Volts

I think the W in the logotype is confusingly V-like as well. It kind of gives the impression of a CRT with bad convergence. :)

Come to think of it, I've heard a lot of people pronounce Wagner with a W sound too. The V sound seems to be almost exclusively German. Is the word difficult for Japanese speakers to pronounce? That wouldn't help much either..

Dave M. wrote:

Reply to
stickyfox

Hmmm. A swooping Eagle to devour all other TV's!

-- Dave M.

taken

Reply to
Dave M.