Help with diode identification

It has 18.K04 on it. Not sure of the part number begining. Might be .K0418

TIA

Wendell

Reply to
SXMWendell

Sounds like a transient protection diode...

Reply to
Marky

I'd take a good look at where it is in the circuit, for example if it's across the power input on automotive equipment it would be safe to assume it's an 18 volt Zener, or a VDR.

If it's a rectifier and has fat leads it might be a high current (18 amps continuous) diode, plain and simple.

Hint : Look at the circuit if you can see it, that tells you what the part is. Up until about the last decade I've prided myself on working on electronics without a print. Sometimes you have to think "What would I put there ?". Or even, well, what does it need there ?

Even now, like horizontal ouputs, they ask me when we don't have the exact one in stock. I see the original and usually get the specs on it from datasheetarchive, but when I can't get the data I can still make a good guess by looking at what it's in.

If it's a bigscreen and had a 2SD1556, it can take a 2SC5150, although they cost a bit more. If it's a 13", gotta look at the driver transformer, the smaller it is the higher gain you'll need usually.

Trouble comes when you get to Zeners, but usually there is a filter cap across it, look at it's voltage rating ! Yes, it can be done, but it is harder and harder these days.

As much as I hate to do it, I suggest you restart the thread because I'm missing alot of replies because there is so much traffic. soon, I'll try to correct this with a new newsreader, but for now you should give us some details about the equipment your mystery diode is used in. Also, throw the first or last part of those numbers, incompletely and severally in the search engine at datasheetarchive.com or alldatasheet.com

You might find a series of diodes that match the general description and be able to call it a day.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly