Help please identifying another part - This one from an NEC TV.

I need to replace a 2.2 mfd 160 V cap, but I don't know which type of capacitor,(electrolytic, tant, mica, poly... etc.) it is, and I haven't opened the set yet because although it has a problem, it is still watchable and I'd like to find out the type of cap so I can buy it before hand and swap it at the same time I first open it up for service as not to inconvenience the customer, (who happens to be my ex, and you KNOW how touchy that situation can be right? She's my ex for a very good reason ) And obviously, seeing as who it is, you know it's going to be a "government job" Know what I mean?

SO, if anyone maybe has the parts list, schematic, anything that will tell what kind of cap it is, I'd REALLY appreciate it if you would let me know

BRAND : NEC MODEL OR CHASSIS : CT-2505A PART NEEDED : C414. 2.2 MFD @160 VOLTS.

Thanks a lot everyone. Randy

Reply to
Randel Chiffiald

It's a polarized 105 C electrolytic capacitor.

Reply to
Chuck

HOw in the world can you know that it's a specific capacitor without having opened the tv set?

Either you're guessing at what it might be, or you've done the old "I took it to a repairman, but they wanted $200 to repair it, so I'm going to do it myself. But I need to know, what's a capacitor?".

Anyone who really had an idea would be able to make a very good guess on what type of capacitor.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Simple, it's a common, well documented malady with this particular model. The set displays the exact same condition described by the numerous sources of common technical problems with certain TV models. In the description of the capacitor however, the various sources of this information fail to provide specific information about exactly what type the capacitor is. An educated guess would be that it is canned electrolytic, but there is also the possibility that they have used a tantalum cap in this circuit. It would make a difference.

You couldn't be further from the truth. I am a disabled, (and obviously semi-retired because of it) former R&D engineering tech and I also had a repair business myself. Because of the limitations posed by my disability, I had to quit and only work on personal and "friends" equipment. Most of my test equipment and documentation was either stolen, given away, or lost since then.

You're absolutely right Michael, but as I explained above, a guess isn't always right, and I was hoping someone would have the information that would cinch it so I could do the repair in one visit. I have a difficult time getting around, and wouldn't be doing this repair at all if it weren't for the fact that my daughter lives with her mother and asked me if I would do this repair for her. I figure I'd at least try to do this while I still can. BTW, the RCA transistor I requested info on in another post is for my own set.

Reply to
Randel Chiffiald

Thanks you very much! That's a big help.

Randy

Reply to
Randel Chiffiald