Help identifying these resistors from a speaker crossover

Help! my tweeter on my expensive speaker is silent. These resistors are sticking out of the potted crossover and I'm hoping that replacing them will get things back in order.

Here is a link to a picture of the resistors. Click on the picture to enlarge it.

A source for these components or a suggestion for alternate would be great.

I'm in the San Francisco area, plenty of electronics stores.

Reply to
VH

Those aren't resistors. Maybe some sort of self-resetting circuit protector.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Mark,

Thanks. I'm hoping that whatever is sticking out of the potting is the part that is the least robust and most likely part to need replacement if the speaker gets driven too hard. I'll call the mfg. tomorrow.

I've heard of resistors gett>

Reply to
VH

I think they are resistors. I found the manufacturer..Caddock high performance resistors.

Can't find these part numbers (MDN0178 and MDN0509) on their webpage but I'll call them tomorrow.

Reply to
VH

They are resistance with 1% tolerance, take your speaker to electronic shop and do resistance measurement test, it seems 4.2 OHM resistor is burned.( OPEN ). Check your Non-Polar Electrolytic capacitors too with ESR meter.

Cyrus®

Reply to
Cyrus®

I was wrong again, eh. Never seen resistors like this, though. We live and learn.

mz

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

V.H.-

The 3.20 resistor is connected on the right side to a terminal that appears to have two other wires connected. The 3.20 appears to be the one on the bottom of the stack. Many times I've seen a similar situation where the one on the bottom did not get soldered. At first it works because the wire is touching the terminal, but over time an open connection develops.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

As you have discovered, these are Caddock Kool-Tab power film resistors as shown here

The value on your resistors look to be 3.25 ohms and 4.2 ohms respectively. However, since these are not standard values made by Caddock, they are OEM values specified by the crossover/speaker manufacturer, therefore they will be given proprietary part numbers.

The 4.2 ohm unit appears to have a similar device mounted in parallel underneath so you will need to investigate that one further.

Reply to
Ross Herbert