Headset cable bitten through

Hi,

my dog bit through my headset cable (Trust Multi Function Headset 310) which I now try to fix. The headset cable consists of three cables (correct term??) each of them consisting of two leads which seem not to be isolated against each other (I know they somehow have to be, this is one of my questions). The leads are wrapped around a white fibre that i guess is there for stability. All of this should be visible on this photo:

(160kB)

How are these leads isolated against each other? Is each core of each lead isolated and if so, how can i repair it?

Thank you very much in advance Lewin Boehnke

Reply to
Lewin Boehnke

hard to tell, but the bit in focus looks like its just 'figure of 8', with 2 cores, the black plastic outer should also go be between the 2 conductors. you can cut the black plastic between the two conductors and you should see it goes between them. you just have to cut it back a bit and insulate it with pvc tape maybe. not sure what the white fibre is for unless you say for support, it does look suspiciously like coax cable however.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Lousy photo but it looks like twin shielded coax to me. If not then it's just two insulated cores in each lead.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

It's not 160k !

It's about 6 MB ! I terminated the download.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Sorry, I don't know how this happened. Use

instead. It is 44kB. I will post better images this afternoon.

Lewin Boehnke

Reply to
Lewin Boehnke

That's commonly used in headphone cables.. It's basically a small Litz wire,I think. Each 'wire' is a bunch of smaller strands that are coated with varnish/insulation. (notice how one wire is *blue*? copper wire isn't blue.) Then both strands are run through the same outer sleeve.

The fiber is the center is just that,A fiber..It's to give the cable a bit of strength,and tension relief,if you were to accidentaly yank on it,it (hopefully) won't snap those little wires.

Repair? Some solder,and tiny heatshrink tubing? It might take a bit of practice,the insulation on that wire is kinda tough,and it's hard to get it to tin sometimes..

Reply to
PhattyMo

What you are describing is 'tinsel wire' - used for flexibility. It is often used for shavers (2 core).

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Show us photo of more of the cable. Show connector(s). The description says that it has "connectors" (more than one). Where is this cable broken?

I suspect that this is only a 2 conductor cable, not 3 or 4, from the description. But maybe not...

More photos and information would help.

--
Al, the usual
Reply to

It would also be helpful if you'd open the headset where the cables make the connection and either describe or photograph the connections. Knowing where the damaged cables connect would be helpful information.

--
Al, the usual
Reply to

Lewin from experience. These internal cables are insulated by a thin layer of enamel. Very poor way of insulating wires from each other, but it works. The fibre center is for strenght. Head phones like these are usually throw away item headphones. But if you wish to fix them just join the wires, insulate them using heat shrink available from any electronics hobbyists store, and kick your dog when you get frustrated. Probably a good lesson re the dog. Keep him away from things he doesnt know about. He doesnt listen to radio.

Reply to
Jack