Cellphone headset extension

Being a simpleton in the ways of audio, I figured I'd run this question by SED, who have so far saved my sanity plenty of times.

I live in a basement, because it's the only affordable quarters in my locale, where I don't make all that much and real estate is daft. One of my biggest problems there is that my phone reception isn't great unless I'm parked against the window; even a foot too far from the window and my call is dropped. One idea is to procure a Bluetooth headset and leave the phone on the windowsill while I'm at home.

Supposing I don't get much mileage out of that, I could fashion some sort of extension cable for the wired earpiece. How well/horribly would that work/fail using a trivial wire-for-wire connection using a coaxial or CAT5? If it wouldn't work well, what sort of amplifier would I use to improve it?

It's more a question of theory... Getting the BT thing to work doesn't seem that unlikely, but I'm still curious.

Thanks PSM

Reply to
Peter S. May

Or you could get an antenna connector for your phone (car kit?) and an antenna on a long cable. You could probably even put up a Yagi antenna with gain (like a TV antenna but smaller in all dimensions, by the same ratio by which the frequency is higher).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones