Headset Adapter?

I have a nice Logitech USB headset that I use for Skype.

Does there exist an adapter that would allow this headset to be used with a regular land-line phone? (It has a standard jack.)

I'd like to not have to have two separate headsets.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

The problem is the phone line is analog and USB is digital. Could be done, of course, but I'm not aware of anyone who makes it.

They make them 'the other way around', though. A box that integrates/switches the computer USB port and phone line to a standard telephone. Like this one by D-Link:

Here's another one

And another

I think a common manufacturer makes some of these but I forget, off hand, who.

Reply to
flipper

Yep, I know... I designed the original USB port driver and receiver chips... see my patent list.

[snip]

Yet I find it odd that a headset (mike + earphones), so cheap, actually digitizes the audio to run thru a USB port.

Sounds hokey to me. I suspect that USB ports may actually now be configurable as "pass-throughs".

I note there are really cheap 2.5mm-to-USB adapters. Maybe the way to go is to get an "analog" headset plus adapter ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:47:59 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

If you have the PC on all the time, and an old voice modem laying about... I have used a Linux application called 'speaker' that uses the voice modem, and the sound then goes to the sound card. I think the USB headset can listen / send to the sound card... Can dial then too from the PC (with phone book). Old 14400 Baud fax / voice modem.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I got a Plantronics one with a USB stick plus 3.5mm (not telephone

2.5mm) plug on it. Only thing is the microphone levels are very low so that it's not really useful in the analog "mode", at least on my Dell or MSI laptops.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You might not find it so odd if you examined the quality of the audio that many computers provide in analog: In many cases the SNR isn't even 30dB (telephone quality!). By making it all digital the headset companies -- who presumably have at least a little bit of analog experience -- can work on audio fidelity, rather than letting the laptop manufacturers -- often with no analog experience -- do so... which makes sense given that most people are going to blame the headset manufacturer if the audio is poor, even if it's the PC manufacturer's fault.

Dell shipped many, many thousands of Inspiron 700m's with pretty much unusable microphone inputs -- they were completely trashed with digital noise on them, all due to someone at Dell forgetting a tiny filter capacitor. See:

"The microphone input circuit in the Dell Inspiron 700m has no filtering on the microphone phantom power injector. This was an oversight of the motherboard's designer. The Inspiron's raw 5V rail is driven directly to the mic power lead, which brings with it all the noise of the disk drive and other parts of the

700m motherboard."

Definitely a reasonable approach.

If you particularly like your headsets, could you tell us their manufacturer/model numbers?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I gave up and bought a Panasonic analog headset w/2.5mm plug.

...Jim Thompson

Does seem like a lot of work but, hey, it's "just a chip."

Like those bluetooth USB dongles. Whole dern 'radio', ya know, and 4 bucks from Chine, including post.

Wouldn't that screw the hell out of a hub?

Dunno, I couldn't find what you're speaking of.

Reply to
flipper

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

if the headset used something like that it would make it incompatible with the many millions of pc's that have a normal usb port, and only work with some hacked up usb/audio combo. I find that very very unlikely

if it has the usb logo it is usb

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Interesting point. I find Skype calls from Australia are eminently more intelligible than via "land" lines.

For Skype I use: Logitech ClearChat Comfort USB Headset

For land-line I just ordered: Panasonic KX-TCA92 Comfort Fit Hands-Free Headset with Fold Design

(These long-winded conference calls get tiring... plus I like hands-free so I can get some real work done during those interminable boring moments where chip "failure" is discussed ad nauseam... leading up to their finally admitting that I was right... they laid out their PCB wrong ;-)

...Jim Thompson

How bout a phone with Bluetooth?

Martin Riddle

Spoke too soon, is this what you are looking for?

Martin Riddle

Spoke too soon, is this what you are looking for?

Martin Riddle

I'll try again..

Spoke too soon, is this what you are looking for?

Martin Riddle

the one have at work does, it shows up as a new sound adaptor that's not present until it's connected.

the closest to pass-through in usb is an autochronous bitstream.

that'd work.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

It'd be nice if more manufacturers provided examples of bad layouts (rather than just "recommended" layouts)... Linear Tech has a good example application note on CCFL inverter design, including a bunch of photos of boards that just didn't work... many now sporting scorch marks across the PCB where the high voltage arced over. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner