HDD 'died' cyclic redundancy error

There is a lot of challenging fun here:

Spurious Response

Wrong. IBM is IBM. Hitachi is Hitachi. IBM's disk drive manufacturing arm was bought by Hitachi Global Storage, the HD manufacturing arm of Hitachi.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Even farther back ESDI drives (some) had a small area of one platter reserved for a CP/M OS which "booted up" on the drives controller cards. THEN, the system could have access to the drive through an ESDI controller.

Reply to
Spurious Response

TSR yes. Provided by others... no. It was included BY Microsoft, and was their product.

Reply to
Spurious Response

There were 3rd party equivalents that predated doskey.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:28:49 GMT, joseph2k put finger to keyboard and composed:

If you mean 4DOS, then I've been aware of this command.com replacement long before it became freeware. In any case I didn't say I was looking for this extra functionality, I just said that it would be one of the few features of XP that I would add to W98.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I meant IBM hard drives. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Don't forget the Korn and bash shells :-)

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Hey Meat _ I never had you figured as a Mr Beardy with open toed sandals ... !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

LOL.... Nah not quite, gimme a few years.

Reply to
Meat Plow

so, wheres your backup?

restart.