Glass fibre basket retainer for 5881/6L6

Owner has managed to get away with dragons teeth retaining clips digging into the glass envelope of his replacement type with no bakelite base . How to fabricate something approximating those woven glass mesh baskets that go over the envelope and then a pair of springs down to the chassis or any other ideas other than replacing with based envelope types ?

Incidently the first thing I did was undo the screws of the dragons teeth in hope of relieving some of the teeth force before removing the valves , but was that the correct approach?

Reply to
N_Cook

Make something like Marshall used. Metal cap and springs.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I don't fancy making a pierced metal dome shape, that has to avoid the fragile central area of the glass dome. So far I'm thinking of a length of high temp glass sleeving knotted into a ring, slightly smaller than envelope circumference, with a balancing "knot" on the other side. Then silicone sleeving or springs and glass sleeving down to a pair of solder tags as anchors. Nasty dragons teeth chips in the bottles but they survived

Reply to
N_Cook

I think making an approximation of the Marshall device is your best bet. They seem to not harm the glass in any I've worked on. And putting those kind of 5881's in a jaw clamp is just plain idiotic. Especially if the tubes hang.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Another awkwardness of the Marshall ones is the tension points must be a good inch below the bottle tops and part wrap around to avoid sliding off. Yes underslung 2002 German Engl E320 50W combo. First time I've come across one of these , to do anything you have to take the whole amp to bits. Surprisingly 2 plain washers were split, probably from using a windy-drill to torque up. Even the maker's ECC83 retainers are an awkward bodge-up, not even fully screening.

Reply to
N_Cook

You can buy the spring retainer clamps (similar to the Marshall, et al. clamps) from Antique Electronic Supply

for $1.95 USD each. A pittance compared to the value of the labor needed to manufacture a kluge in your shop, even with international 1st class postage.

See them in the Vacuum Tube Accessories area.

Cheers, Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

You can buy them in the UK too for £1.50 a pop.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Cook always prefers a Kludge first and then as a last resort purchasing the right thing :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Couple of possibilites on Ebay (UK)?

380227807270 350254990186
--
Geo
Reply to

en

th

Then

der

.
.

s are

For those of us on the west side of the big pond, are you talking about shields or about mounting clips to hold the tubes in place when they are mounted other than pins down??

Reply to
hrhofmann

woven

length

Then

solder

are

For those of us on the west side of the big pond, are you talking about shields or about mounting clips to hold the tubes in place when they are mounted other than pins down??

reply

Not shields , these are output devices. We would call them retainers , just to keep the valve in its socket , especially when upside down like here. Of course shields also retain usually, dual function

Reply to
N_Cook

ing

ons

ng

the

han

et.

ose

ff.

ake

st

Of

I went to the web site in an earlier message. THey had retainers and shields. I had never seen retainers of the type they showed. So I learned something new.

Reply to
hrhofmann