Gamecube Diagnosis

Hi,

I'm hoping that I can get an educated opinion on this before I purchase a replacement part!

My sons' 3 year old Gamecube has finally stopped reading game discs. Over the past year or so, I've kept the machine going by opening it up and adjusting the potentiometer which I think adjusts the laser gain

Unfortunately, the Gamecube was taken on a road trip (unbenounced to myself or my wife) when the kids smuggled it into one of our suitcases! Lo and behold, it no longer reads game discs - in fact, it didn't even spin the disc at first. I performed the usual tweak and got it to at least spin the disc. It looks like the laser is successfully calibrating: moves lens up and down, moves parallel across the disc to the bootstrap track, and makes a beep noise (I'm presuming this is an indication that the laser has completed calibration, but I could be wrong - it always made this noise). After this promising activity however it doesn't appear to be able to read any more of the disc.

I'm thinking it's time to get a replacement laser assembly; that something may be wrong with the servo mechanism. What is puzzling to me is how it appears to successfully calibrate if this is the case.

Thanks, Scottie

Reply to
Scottie