Free (broken) 32" Sharp TV--Chicago

I posted the message below in this group a few weeks ago. After giving it a little more thought, I've decided not to get it estimated/repaired.

I live in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago (roughly Wellington and Sheffield/ 3000N/1000W). If you want this TV, it's yours. You will have to pick it up and haul it away.

If you are interested, email me at: NOSPAM_psandler70_NOSPAM(at)yahoo.com.

It will have to be this weekend or early next week--if no one wants it, I will need to dispose of it before next Friday.

------------------------------------------- Hopefully this is the right group for this question. I have no intention of doing this repair myself--rather, I would take it in for service.

I have a Sharp 32N-5350. I've had it for about 5-6 years with no problems.

Today, while watching, the TV quite suddenly shut itself off. It was exactly as if I had turned it off using the remote.

Clicking the remote to turn it back on did nothing (no response at all). I unplugged the TV from the outlet and tried a different outlet.

When I tried to turn it on again, it made a clicking noise, exactly as

if it was going to turn on, and then made a sound that I think was degaussing, and then clicked again and did nothing.

I had to leave, and when I came back 15 minutes later, I tried again and the same thing happened, except this time I heard about a second of

audio before it clicked off.

I was planning on getting a new TV within the next six months anyway, so it's no huge tragedy. However, if this sounds like an inexpensive problem to repair, the TV would still be useful to me.

So:

  1. Any other troubleshooting steps I could try to help diagnose the problem?
  2. Does it sound like a serious problem?

I see from ads online that I could get a brand new tube TV for under $200, so I guess it would have to be REALLY inexpensive to warrant repair.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Reply to
psandler70