Forming splined form to round aluminium pot shaft

ll

,

Norm:

You obviously have too much spare time. I have a bunch of things needing help. Do you make house calls on the west side of the big pond.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

I don't think it would work well.

Reply to
Meat Plow

These people have what you want !

Best Regards:
                     Baron.
Reply to
Baron

small

on

Norm:

You obviously have too much spare time. I have a bunch of things needing help. Do you make house calls on the west side of the big pond.

Bob Hofmann

I like a challenge and may learn something along the way. A week ago , if someone asked me - can you cut a 0.5mm wide slot in the steel of a ball race, using mundane equipment, I would have said no.

N_Cook

So? Its not something done in a home metalworking shop, but knurling is. Of course you would have to actually do something right, for a change. Some of the guys on there make things that would blow your mind, when it comes to custom tools.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Reply to

Too many belts in the lathe drive train. Settled on a doubled large cable tie around the chuck, clamped to the lathe bed, as a brake and anti-backlash. And marking around the chuck 50 divisions covered with a needle, as indicator, on an arm to a magnetic base. Pulling at the motor V belt to step round. Mounted the Dremmel on 3 short pieces of Dexion to set on the tool post with a 45 degree set. 3 rounds of cuts to get to final profile. Next time I will spend more time fiddling around DTI setting in the 4-jaw before starting as there was eccentricity.

There is a lunate form to the cutting edges maybe due to flexing of the

0.6mm thick grinding disc or I did not pay attention to changing direction of cuts on "odd" and "even" teeth on each pass. Perhaps I should have done another round of cuts but at the previous depth setting to cut into the lunate form more. Perhaps it was due to axial play on the Dremmel. Anyway it works well enough for this purpose. No more than 5mm splining or the tightening force would be more than finger force on the knurled head bolt and the aluminium of the holding frame would snap with anything more than finger force. It is possible to re-engage the spliner further along, synched with the first cut to form extended splines. In use leave the pot spindle full length so the 2 round rollers of the existing pipe cutter can react against the extended shaft. Afterwards cut to length and the diametrical cut. 16 evenly spaced cuts around the pot shaft in the bottom view. If not deep enough then at least a good accurate guide for starting some deeper cuts done freehand with a Dremmel. Didn't think to measure the diameter of the cutting disc before starting and the others vary in diameter, but by comparing to them, somwhere between 0 and 0.2mm erosion of diameter in use

N_Cook