Adapting a potentiometer shaft

I want to change the pot on my amplifier with one from Alps. The problems is the only Alps pot that matches the dimensions and resistance has a slotted shaft and my amp has a pot with a flattened shaft. Is there a way to adapt a slotted shaft so the knob for the flattened shaft can fit without a problem?

Reply to
Vasil

Why ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You can drill out the center of the knob to mak it round, then build up the slotted shaft with epoxy until the knob fits properly.

Reply to
hrhofmann

**If the pot on the OP's amplifier is a standard carbon type, the Alps 'Blue Velvet' is likely to make a small, but significant, improvement. The lower noise and laser trimmed matching improves on cheap pots significantly.

Can you email me please?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

On Wed, 20 May 2009 15:14:30 -0700 (PDT), Vasil put finger to keyboard and composed:

Drill the original knob and insert a plastic bush salvaged from another suitable knob ???

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

If the shafts in question are the same diameter, you can easily mill, grind, or file a flat onto the slotted shaft.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Assuming the diameter is OK, put a shim into the slot, then (with the shaft in a vise) file the flat (so it makes a T with the slot).

Reply to
whit3rd

Depends which Alps model you choose. Just saying "Alps" is no guarantee of a superlative part. Some of them are IMHO WORSE than Taiwan Alpha who 'second source' most of the popular Alps parts at a lower price. We had negligible problems EVER with Taiwan Alpha.

Now, if you want laser trimmed conductive plastic, that's another matter.

Willco.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore