Display messed up, no radio

I have a Bose AWR1-1W radio. Not sure how old it is, I got it from my mother when she moved. It was working fine for about a month and it malfunctioned this morning. The display is a bunch of numbers and letters and the radio is not working. I was hoping that there is a way to reset it but don't know how, any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
Andrew Byrne

I've done full recaps on a bunch of these, but never with that symptom, and I'm assuming here that you've unplugged the radio for about 10 minutes and plugged it back in.

Do this: pull the cover off (watch out you don't tear the ribbon cable from the top keyboard) and heat the inside of the radio with a hair dryer or heat gun (watch the heat). When it's nice and toasty inside, plug the radio back in and see if it works. If it comes to life, it needs to be recapped. All those little silver cans you see scattered around the boards have to be replaced (about 30 or more). I don't use those same SMD electrolytics to replace the bad ones, I use multi layer chip capacitors. You can now buy them in the same voltage that the electros use. They're smaller, non polar, and should in theory last forever.

Reply to
ohg...

It occurs to me that this might be an earlier (older) unit. It may have conventional radial through-the-hole electrolytic capacitors instead of the SMD silver can types I mentioned, but the advice is the same: heat the inside and see if it responds to heat. Electrolytic caps of any type to up in value and down in ESR when heated as they get older. If the heat restores operation, the caps are by far the mostly likely cause.

Reply to
ohg...

Le 14/03/2022 à 18:30, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com a écrit :

Very true and often the explanation for "always on" devices not restarting after a mains failure. I never tried to supply external heat .

Reply to
bilou