Fluke 105 Series II scopemeter fading LCD

I have a Fluke 105 Series 2 Scopemeter whose lcd has become really faint. I have tried cleaning the pcb contacts to the lcd. (Three zebra strips connect the lcd to the pcb) and have also removed the zebra strip and cleaned the lcd glass contacts, but this has not made any difference.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong? Do Lcd's go bad after some use??

Thanks Jay

Reply to
jay

Is this a portable LCD scope/DMM? Tried fresh batteries? Some LCD's use a polarized filter in front of the glass, if that is gone it will make it hard to read.

Reply to
Michael Ware

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. It's a portable scope, yes I have replaced the batteries and also tried powering it directly from the AC adapter but same results.

Since the entire display exhibits fading I think I can rule out the elastomer connectors being the issue.

You might be on to something WRT the polarized filter. Anyway to replace that? When I removed the lcd I could not really open up the front of the lcd so not sure if the polarized filter could be removed easily. What is the failure mode for the polarized filters. Do they go bad with heat or moisture etc?

Thanks Jay

Reply to
jay

Are you sure there isn't a contrast adjustment anywhere? Most monochrome LCD graphics displays have one.

Reply to
James Sweet

There is a contrast adjustment but tweaking it just makes the whole screen darker still does not make the lettering any darker I have emailed fluke now to see if they respond

Reply to
jay

I suspect there's a problem in the driver circuitry, perhaps the power supply for the display. Personally I would send it away to Fluke for repair, they'll calibrate it in the process.

Reply to
James Sweet