Fixing a bent usb

Too many times I've thrown out a bent USB.. what if I really needed it? how likely would I be to repair it? Any kits?

Usually happens with memory, but I just dropped and messed up a modem

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

A "bent USB" *WHAT*?

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

If you're breaking USB devices that frequently, it's time to look at the root cause of why you're dropping / breaking them so frequently.

Evan Platt

=3D -

gist

tm

.}---

rds]

bos]

Since you mention it, I have an SD card reader that's fallen apart and will no longer recognise the card, although the computer recognises it as a disk drive with no disk. For a while, I could get it to find the card if I squeezed it between my fingers, but that doesn't work any more. No sweat, I got a replacement for guess what in a 99p shop. But just out of curiosity, is there anything I could use it for, e.g. could the computer waggle any of the card contacts up and down somehow to control something?

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

You can always use it to prop open a window.

How on earth a computer could waggle a contact when the contact is a simple piece of spring metal I'll never know...

John ;-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

=3D -

gist

tm

.}---

rds]

bos]

The micro usb connector broke off in my GPS unit due to flexing of no- lead solder joints, was able to wick off the no-lead and use leaded to fix it. Also hit a SAN DISK unit still plugged into the front of my tower PC causing it to fail by lifting the lands from the board. That required a few pieces of 30ga wire from the outer pins to a nearby cap and some finer 40ga magnet wire to connect the D+/D- lines to the controller chip. Tedious job but it works now. al

Reply to
mickgeyver