Eyeware For Close Work On Very Small Objects?

Yes, I take my glasses off when using a microscope. Then, I have to tweak the eyepiece focus adjustments to opposite limits, because my eyes are massively mismatched. 20:500 in one eye and 20:250 in the other. But, getting your eyes right up close to the eyepieces gives you a much wider field of view. You lose all the astigmatism correction of your prescription eyewear, but the magnification WAY more than makes up for it. (Also, a good STRONG workpiece light system closes your pupils down so there really isn't much astigmatism to worry about.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

If you have some money to spend go buy Madell SZM7045TR Trinocular Microscope with Double Bar Boom Stand. It is $590 right now and that is the best tool for SMD work I ever invested in :) It is here:

My advice -- do NOT try to save $70 or so by purchasing a SINGLE bar boom stand. You'll regret it. Double bar is WAY better.

And if you want to use your soldering iron or whatever (I do all the time) get an optional 0.5x lens from them. IT serves 2 purposes. First, it protects the precious objectives from solder fumes so if anything went wrong you will only have to replace a cheap lens, not expensive objectives. Second, may be even more important, while reducing magnification (that is still pretty adequate for even tiniest SMD components) it EXTENDS working distance so you'll have your microscope healthy 6..8" from the work that gives you all the room you need for soldering and do other jobs right under the microscope.

BTW, their fluorescent ring light that comes with the microscope is pretty fine out of the box, no need for anything else. I don't remember is a spare tube was included or I bought it separately just to have a spare--it was long ago--but I still have it in a sealed box.

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn

Yup, this is the EXACT same microscope we have at work. We also have the double bar stand, although it is much longer than the one shown on the Madell site. But, we also had that same fluorescent ring light. Worked great, but ate almost a whole INCH of working distance, as it hooks to the END of the microscope body. I made an LED ring that sits just under the white ring with the thumbscrews that the scope sits on, so it is totally out of your way.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

With 0.5x lens that inch is absolutely not an issue. And even if you remove that ring light it will be too close to the work to solder under it so you need that lens anyways :) It IS possible to work under it as-is, without

0.5x lens but it is not very easy and you still have possible objectives contamination with solder fumes issues. Having that lens makes it a pleasure to work with and you can use their out-of-the-box ring light :)

The double bar is quite long so it easily reaches across the entire depth of my workbench.

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn

We are very big fans of Mag-Eyes:

They are extremely light weight and the optical quality is fine. Plus you can wear them over regular glasses and they barely make your head sweat on humid days.

I have no affiliation other than as a happy customer.

Reply to
dave

Per dave:

Have you tried them without wearing glasses? Does sliding the lenses in and out compensate?

--
Pete Cresswell
Reply to

No, I don't have the 0.5x objective lens, and I have PLENTY or room to work under the scope, now that I've removed their ring light. It was still usable, but just a little clumsy with their light. I just measured my actual working distance, it is 4" (100mm). That is enough for me to work on a board with X-acto knife, tweezers, soldering iron, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You should've tried that lens :) I thought I have sufficient working distance too but I had to put a clear filter to protect objectives from solder fumes (I do use solid rosin alot so there are always plums of smoke) that would've destroyed them in no time. Everything changed when I had that lens installed. NOW I do REALLY have room to work under the microscope :)

BTW, usual disclaimer here -- I don't have any affiliation with Madell, just a happy user of one of their really good products (not everything they sell is good; some is utmost crap :)

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn

You focus by moving the MagEyes closer or farther from the work. They will work either with or without reading glasses.

Reply to
dave