eServiceInfo files

For what it's worth, the .RAR files at eServiceInfo are so thoroughly screwed up that neither WinZip 11.1 nor WinRAR will extract them. Both insist that you must insert a disk with a non-existent and weirdly named "volume" file to perform the extraction. Of course, this file is not available at eServiceInfo.

I appreciate learning about this site, but it appears to be useless.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Also for what it's worth... I Googled "hp 4m service manual", and found this version. For free. Uncompressed.

William Sommerwerck

In similar circumstances I found this one worked

I also find his "The Rename" useful

N Cook

Sounds like you have'nt downloaded ALL parts of the schematic. All parts must be downloaded to the same folder. Click the numbers below the download link for subsequent parts, the page then refreshes, hit the download link again.

Reply to
jango2

Just yesterday, I downloaded a multipart RAR from eserviceinfo, and just like when I have downloaded files from them many times in the past, I had absolutely no problem at all. Did you heed the note regarding multiparts, and spot the fact that there are individual numbers (0,1,2 etc) in orange type, on the actual file download page ? You need to download each of these into the archive folder that you are using, before using WinRar or whatever. If you do not get the first part, then the extraction volume information is missing, and the decompresion programme cannot do its stuff. The 'volume' file that you seem to have missed is usually download "0"

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"0".

Yes, I had all three files in the same extraction folder.

Only three files were listed...

...and the page for part 1 says "file 1 of 3" and "no multipart". (Hmmm...)

I searched the rest of the first page for "4m", and found nothing.

The WinRAR program says "You need to have the following volume to continue extraction:"

"E:\HP LaserJet 4M service manual\HP LaserJet 4M service manual 1 of 4.rar".

There is no such volume, as the ones supplied are named "1 of 3", not "1 of

4".

I'm not blaming anyone in this group for the problems at this site. I've bookmarked it, and might try again when I need a manual for another product. At least I found the HP manual in clean PDF form at another site. I really appreciate the help I've gotten. Thanks again.

PS: I think I know what the problem might be. When I downloaded the files from eServiceInfo, I CHANGED THEIR NAMES to something simpler and shorter. That could very well be the problem. I'll check later and see what happens.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Wasn't this the eServiceInfo that spammed a little while back? I'm sure I made a comment about their web writing skills, or their graphics design skills. Or both. Or perhaps it was their parentage, I can't remember.

It appears they can't get out of their heads that we've moved on from the

1200bps modem days, and the reasons archives were splittable like that, no longer exist.

If P2P networks can distribute 2+ gig files, then I'm sure one measly datasheet can be offered without splitting it up.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Yes, that very well might be the case, as I have honestly never had a problem with any downloads I have done from there. I usually store the extracted file(s) to the same archive folder, and only then change the names to something that is more meaningful to me.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It worked! When left the names alone, all three files opened and extracted "instantly". So... don't change the names!

It appears that all three files are the same, complete manual. That's why they're marked as "no multipart" -- they aren't multipart files. Why the manual was posted three times is something I don't understand.

Thanks to everyone, again.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

i have never had any trouble with extracting the files on that site either. It's been a lifesaver on various occasions. however, sometimes there is no indication a file is multipart until you come to extract it which can cause some confusion....you just have to hunt about for all the bits of the multipart files.

-b

In a preceding post, I revealed that the problem occurred because I changed the names of the files when I downloaded them. When they had their original names, they opened perfectly.

These were not multipart files, by the way.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 05:16:59 -0800, "William Sommerwerck" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I downloaded part 1 on its own, tried to decompress it, but got a message telling me that I needed part 2. So it's clear that the manual is indeed multipart, and each part automatically looks for the remaining parts when opening.

BTW, the file sizes for parts 1 to 3 are 1.4MB, 1.4MB, and 795KB.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar