Panasonic CRT Picture - missing and/or shifted

This is an older (5-7 years old?) Panasonic TV (model PV-M2079) used primarily for GameCube and for the occasional video.

When I bring up the Menu, or any other dialog screen, there is a 1/2" section of the menu screen at the left side, a 2" vertical section of black where any of the icons or text are missing, and then the rest of the screen appears where it normally would. Like someone had cut a chunk of it out, but the rest remained in place.

When a game or video is being played, the appearance is different. The picture seems to be pushed 3" to the right, compressed somewhat so that we're missing about 10% of the right side of the picture. The

3" section on the left isn't blank, it has a kind of ghosted, swirled portion of the picture.

Any suggestions on what I might look for to repair this?

Reply to
AssociationDude

Hi!

Sure, I'd start by looking at the capacitors in the set. They may be failing. Starting with the ones in the power supply would not be a bad idea.

Remember that a TV set contains hazardous voltages and may well maintain a charge after you've turned it off and unplugged it-- especially if the set is malfunctioning. You have to be on the lookout for high voltages AND line voltage. There's also the risk that comes from an implosion of the picture tube if it should be abused while the set is apart.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Very common to have capacitors in the power supply and the scan amplifiiers to cause exactly the fault you are describing. An experienced tech can troubleshoot the set, locate the defective capacitors, and replace them.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.