exclusive s-video/composite connectivity?

Hello all,

First, I want to say I am a beginner into electronic. I did some readings before posting my question, but I need to clarify something.

A year ago, I bought a 42 inches Pioneer plasma TV (model PDP-4270). The TV comes with 6 input entries, allowing different kind of connectivity.

It seems that each input entry can be used in different kind of "configuration". For example, input 1 is made of :

- 1 4-pins mini-din connector (for S-video)

- 2 RCA connectors for "audio"

- 1 RCA connector for "video"

My understanding is that RCA and mini-din connectors are exclusive because they allow either a S-VIDEO or COMPOSITE connection. Am I right?

Also :

- If I use the S-VIDEO connection, will I have to use, in parallel, a

2-RCA wire to support sound, thus leaving the "video" RCA connector empty?

- For that input, the user guide says that the 2 RCA connectors are for "audio" and the third one is for "video" ... should I conclude that these RCA connectors allow a composite-video and not a component- video connectivity?

thanks, ER

Reply to
quantumgroups

Different TV sets do it differently, but mine has "Input 1" and "Input

2" "channels". So if I want to see the S video input, I would turn to the Input 1 "channel" in the channel list. This means I can have two devices, such as an old VCR hooked up to the analog component RCA connectors and a DVD player hooked up to the S Video and be able to easily switch between them.

If you still have your manual, look in there.

Reply to
Vey

Depends on the TV. Some let you insert both, and either select which one is active via an on-screen menu, or simply give priority to one over the other.

Yes.

The RCA connections are color coded. The audio jacks are usually RED (for right) and WHITE (for left.) YELLOW is used to designate composite (not component) video. Component video connections take three RCA-type connections on its own, typically labeled as Y, Pb, and Br, and are different in color than the red/white audio and the yellow composite video.

Reply to
UCLAN