Dremmel minidrill , normal or worn ?

Mod 358, ser 5-13. I'd not noticed before but there is a lot of axial movement of the chuck. Normal or worn ? Went inside , needed a clean out and lubricating if nothing else. There is a wavy thin compression spring/washer on the axle but it is about 1mm away from the bearing, so about 2mm of possible movement between static and active use.

N_Cook

My model 359 Dremel has perhaps .5 mm of play along the axis.

Dave Platt

and

spring/washer

Normally it would not matter but yesterday I was using it for "precision grinding" but as very light back torque/ cutting force. I don't think it affected things, the reaction thrust from the fan was enough to make sure the chuck did not move forward. I will have another look now the grinding job is done.

N_Cook

some repair notes Mark which way round the bearing retaining clips are mounted and the stator orientation before unclipping the bearings. Note the stator wire furthest from the cable inlet goes under the brush mount. a nylon pad is located as axle back stop. The shaft is domed at the end and for some odd reason a pip on top of that that had worn into the pad. Turned this pad around and added 1mm extra padding glued behind it. But was too much so removed and added (glued in place) 0.6mm instead. To check out motor and use commutator bedding stone its a matter of taping around the chuck lock spring ring and a couple of cable ties around each brush mount and around 2 partially replaced body screw and through vent holes to operate with the commutator exposed. Triac BT24A, 100nF 250V, 10K,4.7K, 390K , 56R and log pot that measured 220K max, in cct

Reply to
N_Cook