EBay ad.."Worn resitor" :O)

Partial description of an Amplifier on EBay :O)

"There is a slight hiss at loud levels, probably a worn resistor."

Reply to
Salmo

Possibly means noisy volume control potentiometer - although that would be more likely to cause a crackle rather than a hiss.

I think I would need to ask the vendor to define 'slight' before making a bid!

--
Cheers,
Set Square

There is more to the ebay ad as well.

The volume knob came unglued and I lost it, easy replacement from Carver.

Anyone know how to get in contact with Carver. Seems to me that the parts for these old Carver units are nearly impossible to get.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Hello, Salmo! You wrote on Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:13:54 GMT:

S> Partial description of an Amplifier on EBay :O)

S> "There is a slight hiss at loud levels, probably a worn resistor."

It's possible he means that an old component is introducing some unwanted spurious noise, this can happen with resistors but is more likely to be a semiconductor. Depending on the quality of the amp a slight hiss at loud levels with no input might be normal with some cheaper models.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

"3T39" bravely wrote to "All" (24 Dec 05 23:18:56) --- on the heady topic of "Re: EBay ad.."Worn resitor" :O)"

3T> From: "3T39" 3T> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:352491 3T> Hello, Salmo! 3T> You wrote on Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:13:54 GMT:

S> Partial description of an Amplifier on EBay :O)

S> "There is a slight hiss at loud levels, probably a worn resistor."

3T> It's possible he means that an old component is introducing some 3T> unwanted spurious noise, this can happen with resistors but is more 3T> likely to be a semiconductor. Depending on the quality of the amp a 3T> slight hiss at loud levels with no input might be normal with some 3T> cheaper models.

Electrolytic capacitors can also hiss, crackle, and wheeze with the best of them!

A*s*i*m*o*v

... A stereo system is the altar to the god of music.

Reply to
Asimov

I would ssssussspect that a ssssnake crawled in.

Reply to
elephant

Carver are now dealt with by Sunfire, and I have found them very helpful (fax returned within 24 hours).

Telephone 425 335 4748, fax 4746.

--

rgds
LAurence

...42? Seven and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!
Reply to
Laurence Taylor