DIY repair, nothing to lose

I'd like to at least take a shot at resurrecting a digital camera that has, for no obvious reason, simply stopped working. One day it powered on, the next day, dead. As dead as if it had no batteries in it. (Yeah, changing/checking the batteries is the first thing I did.)

Okay, it's a cheap point & shoot (Olympus D-535) and I realize it's essentially disposable. In fact, I've already purchased its replacement. It just seems a shame to toss what may be an easily repairable unit without at least *trying* to fix it. I have the tools; I have the time. Heck, if I screw it up, I'm no worse off.

The problem is obviously a lack of power, the electronics were just fine when it would turn on. So here's the question(s): Assuming I can get the case open, might there be a simple place to look for a blown fuse or broken connection? Any other suggestions?

TIA, Joe F.

Reply to
junkmail608

I've only looked in my basic digital camera to extend the "shutter release" outside, via wires, so I could use it for macrophotography ( no camera shake). I know my one has no recesses in the battery housing for battery+ pips so very easy to put in the wrong way round.

I'd trace the battery lines to whatever is connected to them, latching ON/OFF powerFET, IC inverter, diode/fuse or whatever .

n cook

do you have a jack to apply an outside power source?

Reply to
rb

I have a "garage sale" D-450 which I use as a cheap travel camera. When first aquired it wouldn't work either. The battery contacts were bad. Replaced [mickey-moused new springs in place] and it works but is still very sensitive to low batteries. Try fresh alkalines, not rechargeables.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to

I did the whole "control group" battery thing. Took out the "old" batteries. Put in new batteries. Didn't work. Put those batteries into a different camera. Worked fine. Tried the "old" batteries in a different camera. Worked fine. Ruled out the batteries.

I'll get out the tiny screwdrivers & see what I see.

Tx to all, Joe F.

Reply to
rb608

Thus spake John Keiser:

This has not been my experience. I once bought a nice Canon from a guy who said "It'll only work on the adapter. New akalines only last a few minutes."

He was right: alkalines don't provide the current needs for a camera. I charged an old set of NiMH AA cells and it has gone for hours on those.

NiMH or NiCd are much better for digicams.

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net