Distortion on right channel

I have a Korean made Sherwood receiver circa 1980 that distorts on the right channel only: with all inputs (eliminating the sources); with any set of speakers (not the speakers); at all volumes (eliminating things before the volume knob); with the headphones (eliminating the power stage?).

Does anyone have any advice troubleshooting this? I'm comfortable replacing electronic components in circuit boards (when I say me I mean my electronic savvy friend who is helping me out, He just replaced leaky looking 1000u cap, but it didn't solve the problem) but have no experience with stereo troubleshooting and would like to attempt to fix this myself.

Thanks in advance,

-Franco

Reply to
franco

No, the headphones will normally be run from the 'power stage'.

It's not difficult in principle. Do you have experience troubleshooting other electronics aside from audio ?

Posted to sci.electronics repair in addition.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

not the preamp stage?

some guitar tube amplifier stuff (very simple compared to this); my friend helping me has experience in TVs and microwave ovens.

Thank you.

Reply to
franco

Not usually.

Ok, well an perienced tech would know roughly where to probe without a detailed schematic but it looks like you'll need one of those at minimum. Model number ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You have a perfectly functioning amp right there (the other channel); why not just compare and contrast? It's even a good source for parts to swap...

Isaac

Reply to
isw