Digital8 horizontal banding & sound dropping out on playback

My trusty Sony TRV730e Digital8 camcorder has just started to play up. The picture is divided by several thick black horizontal bands and the sound drops in/out continuously.

I've run a head-cleaning tape through but this has had no effect. The problem occurs on both the just-recorded and older tapes.

What could be the reason please? Is an economic repair likely to be possible?

I have a large collection of recordings which I have always intended to transfer to DvD/DivX before upgrading the cam' to a DvD recording model but I really need a faster PC to do this.

If repair is not appropriate then should I buy another Digital8 cam? Is there another way of transferring? Are Digital8 cams available for hire?

--
dave @ stejonda

Beyond the farmyard the wind in the trees.
Reply to
nospamdeleteabusedave

Why? Some of the cheaper capture cards work OK with a PII 200 MHz.

NSM

In message , NSM writes

i. the last time I did I had lots of dropped frames ii. DivX encoding takes a very long time

Anyway this is moot since I currently have no working camcorder to play them on.