Dell Laptop PP10S does not work on AC

My co-worker has a Dell Laptop PP10S that works on batteries but not AC. He measured the AC adapter to be the correct voltage.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Could it be a bad regulator?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Steve

Even though the voltage can measure to be correct, this does not mean that the output current is strong enough. The fault can also be that the power supply has a regulation fault, or the computer is pulling too much current, or that the inverter in the computer not working properly.

The best way to test the power supply is to have a proper current load devices and instruments to test it, or to try another supply. If a known working supply does not work, then you will know that the fault is internal to the computer.

With some models of computers and electronic devices, the battery is used to reference the external power supply. They also have some eletronics circuits in the battery assembly. In this type of case, it is possible that if the battery is bad, the power supply may not be able to operate the computer.

Jerry G.

--
On Aug 27, 12:13=A0am, Steve  wrote:
> My co-worker has a Dell Laptop PP10S that works on batteries but not AC. =
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jerry G.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:13:36 -0500, Steve put finger to keyboard and composed:

Does the AC adapter charge the battery?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It appears it's the connector on the motherboard. I looked at it closer today and was able to get voltage by wiggling the connector.

Thanks for everybodys help!

Reply to
Steve