Power supply question

I've "inherited" an ESI-2841 network print server, but the AC adapter is missing. It's been about 15 years since I've been involved in electronics, but I opened up the unit and found that it uses an LT1076CQ-5 voltage regulator. The spec sheet for the LT1076 indicates that it has a minimum voltage input is around 8VDC and a maximum input voltage of around 40VDC, I'm concluding that I could use any old AC adapter that has a rectified DC output in the range of 9-12VDC (as long as I can find the correct plug).

Can anyone validate my thinking on this?

Reply to
Ted Wood

"Ted Wood" schreef in bericht news:JZlke.796$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Looks like good thinking to me. If you want to be very safe just hook up a lab powersupply at 8V and check for the current. Increase the voltage. The current should not increase rather decrease a little. Also check the temperature of the regulator. If you burn your fingers on it, it's too hot. My guess is that you can safely use 8V to 12V. Now make sure that the rectified and smoothed voltage of your new adaptor does not fall below 8V during operation.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter