Power supply question

I've "inherited" an ESI-2841 network print server, but the AC adapter is missing. It's been about 15 years since I've been involved in electronics, but I opened up the unit and found that it uses an LT1076CQ-5 voltage regulator. The spec sheet for the LT1076 indicates that it has a minimum voltage input is around 8VDC and a maximum input voltage of around 40VDC, I'm concluding that I could use any old AC adapter that has a rectified DC output in the range of 9-12VDC (as long as I can find the correct plug).

Can anyone validate my thinking on this?

Reply to
Ted Wood

Probably, yes. But giving it to high voltage means that there will me more effect for the regulator to get rid of. So I'd give it as close to the 8V as possible.

--
MVH/Regards,
Vidar

www.bitsex.net
Reply to
Vidar Løkken

I believe that part is capable of handling nearly 2 Amps but I doubt the print server draws that much. Does it say anywhere on the case what the wattage is?

It's a switching regulator so I guess it probably won't burn much more at 9V than it does at 8V.

To be safe look for one capable of 8V at 2A but they won't be easy to find. Failing that something like 9V and able to supply as near 2A as you can get.

Reply to
CWatters