Dell Dimension Desk Top

I got a call from someone who has a Dell Dimension Desktop computer that won't "come on". They had a "Geek Squad" person look it over - the person said the 250w PS was shot. There was 5v on one side but not the other. Then - those parts were hard to get a hold of.

"I" am asking because I don't deal with Dell - I can't stand them for my own reasons. SO - is there available power supplies out there - or do we have to kiss Dell's ass for one?

Opinions please - so I know whether I need to call Dell or can go most anywhere.

Thanks

Reply to
radiosrfun

Dell power supplies are usually (always?) proprietary, you may be able to find one on ebay though, or repair the original power supply. As far as proprietary off the shelf machines go, Dell is excellent, over the years the vast majority of computers I've had at work have been Dell, and it's what I recommend to anyone who doesn't feel like building their own or customizing it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Older Dell motherboards had the same type of PSU ATX connector as used on other companies ATX connector, but crucially they wired it up differently (some thing which can apparently be undone to use a standard supply)

Later motherboards are back to the industry standard pinout so you may be lucky.

Your "Geek Squad" guy, if he had been a Real Geek would have known this.

What series is the Dimension computer?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I would have to inquire about the "series". "I" got a call from the owner - "I" didn't call the "Geek Squad". I think "maybe" the owner is wondering if it can be repaired and not being ripped off. Her dad knows me - so might be the "Second opinion" deal. But as I explained - I'm not a "Dell" person - so I told them I would inquire - to see what info I could come up with. I knew someone on here would have some ideas and I THANK YOU.

Lou

Reply to
radiosrfun

You will have to go with the original parts for DELL. They are proprietary.

Apparently, their computers are very good. I know of a number of companies that are using many DELL computers for their operations, including DELL servers. Their performance and dependability is very good.

--

JANA _____

"I" am asking because I don't deal with Dell - I can't stand them for my own reasons. SO - is there available power supplies out there - or do we have to kiss Dell's ass for one?

Opinions please - so I know whether I need to call Dell or can go most anywhere.

Thanks

Reply to
JANA

Thank you and the rest for your replies. I have also alerted the owner of this. I guess the question is now - if the store who sent the "Geek Squad" out - can do this or not? I know that some companies - being "proprietary" won't ship parts out to just anyone - unless you're an authorized center - which for Dell - I'm not. As I said, I'm not personally into Dell, so I have not paid any attention to any places around here who "might" be service centers.

Dell - seems to have come a long way since their inception - so I do credit them - there. I agree I see many using them - banks, etc..

I called them once about the "price" of a computer - telling the fruitcake I spoke with - I was "pricing only". He gave me a couple prices of systems - a desktop and laptop - with what I said I would need. He then asked which system I would like to order and I said "none" - I told you I was getting prices only - I'm shopping around. He got pissed and said "you wasted my time just for that - and kept babbling on. I told him, pal - first of all - you must be a complete deaf and dumb moron. Do you not understand what I said - about "getting a price only"? You just lost ANY sale you might have had for your company and your Commission. So - maybe I'm being a bit harsh with Dell due to some asshole - but that was my reason for not "liking" Dell. OH and the kicker is - the asshole spoke perfect English, so there was no language barrier. I can only wonder how many other "shoppers" - he or they hoodwinked into "buying" with a "guilt trip".

Reply to
radiosrfun

Is this true of all their power supplies now? Are they just designed to be non-standard to prevent swapping with standard ones?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Me, call the geek squad? Not only NO, but H..L NO! I can figure out stuff on my own. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

NO, this is not true now. The older Dell desktops did use proprietary designs - e.g. some had an ATX style connector but the pinout was different.

I can't speak for all their current models but I recently worked on a Dimension 5000 with a dead PSU. I replaced it with a standard off the shelf 24-pin ATX unit. The original Dell PSU had a taller casing but the screw holes were in the standard pattern to mount a regular ATX PSU. I just needed to make a little cut in the rear panel to accomodate the position of the IEC mains inlet on the replacement unit.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Reply to
Tim Phipps

In case ya missed it - the "owner" called them, not me. "I" was called for a second opinion. The owner told her father about it, he knows me - so he asked me. That is the extent of my involvement to date - aside from my questions here and relaying said info back. You wouldn't catch me calling them either. I repair my own stuff and others - quite well without help - except when I have brain freeze! :(

Reply to
radiosrfun

'Dimension' is a series of computers, and I can't recall one I've seen that I can't buy a power supply for. Get the actual model number and look online.

You can also get the part number off the original power supply, and use a search engine to locate a replacement.

shows 520 power supplies for Dell Dimension, right now.

BTW, what do you expect from a guy who bites the heads off live chickens? 'Geeks' are circus performers, while 'Nerds' are techies.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida