Sony CDP 671 CD, working now, but?

No troubles for owner then totally stopped on next disc or any others. Laser alight , cleaned lens, mechanics seemed ok, continued to not spin, but servos working. Removed the top housing over the platter, weighted with the removed magnetic top-knot over the CD and now seems to work every time - any ideas?

Reply to
n cook

So does it still work when the disc clamp is put back together ' normally ' ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

'

After an hour of working fine without prob it is now solidly stuck in non-work mode so I'll try finding a loose comp/con on the first board. Sledge servo always brings the laser to read the data track in exactly the right place, focus servo functiond but "No Disc" displayed.

Reply to
n cook

Many Sony models in recent years, have suffered in this way, as a result of the flexiprint to the laser, going intermittent where it bends its sharpest, just behind the blue plastic reinforcing strip for connector insertion.

Usually, when it's bad, you can gently poke it with a long thin screwdriver, and it will start working again. I used to keep a slightly longer, slightly thinner one in stock, which used to bend more gently, and more easily. Not saying that it is this, but worth a try ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

others.

normally

the

of

sharpest,

screwdriver,

slightly

Seems plausible, I will return to it next week, doing a repairable 35 yearold Beomaster at the moment.

Reply to
n cook

others.

normally

the

of

sharpest,

screwdriver,

slightly

I did a check of that flexistrip and one conductor is o/c. I see a magnet wire bridge going in, soldered to the pcb at either end. For the archives the laser unit is KSS 213B, December 1995

n cook

Ah-Ha. There's a result then ! I have tried repairing by ' bridge-around ' with wire in the past, but it doesn't seem to last long. Don't know if you have access to Sony spares ( Chas Hyde could supply them to you ). The slightly longer and thinner flexiprint that I mentioned that I used to use, is Sony Pt # 1-757-055-11 " Wire ( Flat Type ) 16-Core "

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

board.

exactly

result

use,

I usually twist 3 strands together of the finest enamelled wire 45 swg or so for each connection, soldering the 3 ends together at each end. Repeated either side of the actual broken track as these are likely to fail next I agree using anything more than 40swg or so is likely to work harden and break, or whatever happens to copper.

Reply to
n cook

board.

exactly

result

use,

used 6 twisted 46 SWG strands for each of the bridging conductors and player is back working, I wonder for how long before another foil track goes or my copper wiring fails. Written up and already ftp'd to

n cook