Sometimes I really doubt the sanity of the US army, drones send video unencrypted:

Sometimes I really doubt the sanity of the US army, drones send video unencrypted:

Encryption is used bymany commercial satellite TV stations.... It has been around for as long as there has been digital.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If this is true, then somebody had to leak the channel assignment and IP number. I call B.S.

Steve

Reply to
osr

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:46:31 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@uakron.edu wrote in :

I do not think so, I have several programs to scan transponders and make a list of the data stream, their bits per second, ts demuxers. I almost think they use analog... There is usually a well known number of transponders with well known polarisation and frequency. You can dump any TCP stream and look what is in the packets. Piece of cake. It feels like '(Big Arms Producer) 'Hey good news I just sold that old analog crap to the army'. And home many are dead know on the US side because of pictures of their own bases and positions? And 'Oh lets go, here comes a drone, it is just south of here'.

No wonder the US never did win a war after WW2, and that only with help of the Russians.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It is a very bad idea to assume that your enemy is completely stupid. Especially when they may have help from technically advanced adjacent states like Iran that want to put one over on "The Great Satan".

It would not be that hard for a suitably equipped adversary to eavesdrop weakly encrypted video streams either - they have far too much repetitive internal structure. However, the news reports do seem to imply the streams were unencrypted video which is quite incredible. I guess it saved a few dollars on the $10M build cost to use junk for the downlink telemetry. Spoiling the ship for a h'apeth of tar.

And remember the prats that said to the press that "We will soon capture OBL because we are tracking his satellite phone". (how unsporting of Al Qaeda to be monitoring western news reports!)

Military intelligence = oxymoron.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown