FIOS doesn t work without AC?

Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't work, but I like having the home phone too.

Reply to
micky

I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that their plan is to start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours . I asked about a bigger battery and was told that the charger they use isn 't powerful enough for it.

They call this progress.

By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper wire so you ca n never go back to it.

Reply to
missingchild

start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours. I asked about a [bigger backup battery for the FIOS phone] and was told that the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.

How can the charger not be powerful enough. It has weeks or months to charge the battery, however long it is between power failures.

I had a 2nd-hand UPS and the battery wore out, and I replaced it with a bigger one and it worked fine. I just broke out the plastic ribs that held the smaller one in place. Of course they didnt' specifically say a bigger battery wouldn't work, but how would the guy you talked to know? He only "knows" what they told him.

never go back to it.

I called about something and she started pushing me, over and over, to get FIOS. I said I couldn't afford it but she said it was cheaper. I'm still on an introductory rate for DSL and FIOS would be more, not less.

Reply to
micky

start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours. I asked about a [bigger backup battery for the FIOS phone] and was told that the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.

never go back to it.

Well,

A FIOS backup battery, at least the one in my panel, is a 12 volt gel cell rated at 7.2 amp hours, which provides 'UP TO' 8 hours of backup. Remember, 2 hours is a subset of UP TO 8 hours. During this event, I got about 9 hours out of the battery.

Anyway, I'm sure the charge could handle a bit bigger battery, say 10 AH, but to hook up a car battery to it would be asking a bit much of the charger. On the other hand, when power is out those with some knowledge can add in more battery to run the panel while power is out. I do this, and I disconnect my external battery when I'm not at home, since there is no reason to run the panel when it will go to the answering system anyway.

Lastly, keep in mind that the backup is ONLY for phone, Video and internet goes away when the AC power is lost, at least on my panel.

Regards, Tim Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

What about the rest of their network? Will it hold up for more than 8 hours?

Reply to
tm

Maybe things are different in differing locations, but I still have interne t when the power fails as long as the router is connected to a UPS. The FI OS connection itself is powered by the battery, but the router (required fo r internet access) is not. Also, the internal controller will shut-off hte internet connection at about the 6 hour mark, reserving the remainder of t he battery life for phone support only. Since many households now use FIOS or cable for phone, the emphasis is made to provide phone support for as l ong as possible.

As usual, YMMV

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

Posted and mailed, if you don't mind. .

Even though you weren't on the phone for most of that time? Maybe you talked for an hour and it still went dead after 9?

At first I didn't care about internet, because I don't have a laptop yet, but I plan to get one. With DSL that I have now, that works even when the power is out, right? (Assuming there is power at the telephone company.)

Reply to
micky

Wouldn't that depend on where all the power outages are? Are there amplifers or whatever between the central station and one's home, that require power, and might not have any?

Are there back-up generators at Bell and Verizon telephone exchanges?

Wired phones run on batteries at the central station with generators to keep the batteries charged, but what about FIOS phone and Fios Internet?

Reply to
micky

You are talking about days of old. Less than 40% of the population has wired phones and phone companies see the handwriting on the wall. Many such as Verizon sold off a bunch of those systems (Verizon sold off 13 states) to companies that will run what remains on a shoestring budget. Stuff that they do retain will never again see the TLC of old.

Reply to
George

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do they all have generators? Are there amps or something on phone poles between the telephone exchange and my house that depend on a source of power that's neither the exchange or my house?

Reply to
micky

Took a tour of a switching office once. They have power, then backup generators, then big racks of backup batteries.

The old copper system powered the phone from the switching office. Your lights could be out but you could still use the phone.

With FIOS you have a few hours of battery power then you're dead. In this last storm, my battery backup failed and had to be replaced before I could use FIOS at all.

--
Dan Espen
Reply to

Thats how things used to be when everyone had a wired phone. Something like 60% of the population doesn't anymore. Providers are running away from and spending as little as possible on the sort of infrastructure you described.

Reply to
George

That's their wish, but they can not force. The copper is regulated, the fiber is not. The Suits have been making noises about "maximizing our investment" which means "coerce people to giving up copper..." For example, I cannot upgrade my DSL because FIO$ is available here.

Bingo, why do you care if it takes a week to fully recharge a

75AH deep cycle battery....?

Unless you can make good threats...their legal basis is iffy.

Bingo. And FIO$ keeps going up in cost.

David Lesher

There is nothing active between the FIOS CO and your ONT. If your ONT has power, there's no reason for it to go down.

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

They better; a CO is required to have backup power and does.

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

With the internal charger? It would look like a bad battery and shut down, if the charger design is any good.

How do you propose a way to force them to keep copper when a lot of 'copper' circuits are only metallic for the last mile or less? IOW, it's already mostly a fiber backbone. That last mile has the highest maintenance costs, and will be replaced no matter what you want. The line to my house has had an intermittent hum problem that they can't find. When it shows up I call on a VOIP number to report it. The line clears up about three to five minutes before they arrive, or it starts working right after they verify that there is a problem.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I haven't seen a real Central Office in decades. Just small switching centers that are being replaced with packet switching hardware. Most are the size of a one car garage, to have room to store spare boards & equipment.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I remember seeing the Central Office in Ft. Worth, with a lot of big batteries (they said some of the batteries were from old submarines). The batteries were supposed to be able to power everything for at least

24 hours, with generators for longer outages.

That was about 31 years ago.

BTW, they had more operators come to work during snowstorms and after football games.

--
48 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Holy Scripture: A book sent down from heaven.... Holy Scriptures
contain all that a Christian should know and believe, provided he adds
to it a million or so commentaries. [Voltaire]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Operators, 3i years ago? they must have still been a Strowager type Central office if they were that out of date. My home town had it's first generation ESS Central Office before that. It replaced some

1920's design junk. The batteries were designed for the application. I doubt submarine batteries would last long in that application since C.O. batteries are on float charge 99.9% of the time.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I operated a pull-out-out-the-cord-and-plug-it-in switchboard for a few days in 1973.

On Navy ships in the late 1970s, we still had click-click-click rotating stepper switches.

--
Wes Groleau

   I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
   but if you burn my Bible, no one's going to die.
                                    ? Robert Rhee
Reply to
Wes Groleau