Cost of replacing LCD screens

Hi, I am getting a few LCD TVs 32" and higher various brands with most of these having broken screens. I dont have experience fixing LCD monitors/TV so am going to attempt this. I have some experience with fixing other devices and electrical circuits. My question, how much does the LCD screen costs on average for 32" and higher TVs.

Assuming all other boards are ok and only broken screen, is it worth fixing these to resell ? Are service manual available for these ? and is replacing LCD screen simple procedure of just removing the old one with a new/used one and only connecting a few cables to the new screen ?

thanks.

Reply to
electronicsmart

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: : Hi, I am getting a few LCD TVs 32" and higher various brands with most : of these having broken screens. I dont have experience fixing LCD : monitors/TV so am going to attempt this. I have some experience with : fixing other devices and electrical circuits. My question, how much : does the LCD screen costs on average for 32" and higher TVs.

: Assuming all other boards are ok and only broken screen, is it worth : fixing these to resell ? Are service manual available for these ? and : is replacing LCD screen simple procedure of just removing the old one : with a new/used one and only connecting a few cables to the new screen : ?

The lcd screen is 80 to 90% of the cost, so unless you find a really cheap source, you will probably loose on this deal.

: thanks.

Reply to
kmy

You will wind up with a unit that costs more than a new one, and way more when they are on sale, and the warranty won't be as good. Not a good deal for all. What happens when a customer refuses to claim the unit(s)?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You say broken? If there is physical damage to the screen, it's trash, dispose of properly please. As has been pointed out, not economical to fix unless you have the exact model as a spare you got for free. However if by broken you mean, does not work, that's a little different. If the power lt is on but it's a dark screen, you may have just bad backlighting. This is definitely worth the try, there have been several threads here and elsewhere on the web on fixing the cold cathode inverters. If the backlighting is OK but the screen doesn't show proper data or it's all messed up that gets very iffy. There's typically one or more FPGA's between the video in and the LCD itself. If they're bad, your chances of finding a replacement part or a manual are slim to none. Toss it or save for parts. If you collect enough of them as unrepairables/freebie's you may be able to build up an inventory of replacement parts. But there's nothing really standard about them. Same model from the same "manufacturer" can have different innards.

tomh "I asked him what his name was and how 'come he didn't drive a truck, he said his name was Columbus and I just said good luck"

Reply to
tomh

some I have have broken or cracked screens. A few I have are LCD monitors 17 and 19" with some issues, not broken screen. Some would power up, nothing on screen. Others wont power up at all. A few power up but have red or pink vertical line. Any ideas/leads on this would be helpful.

thanks > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
electronicsmart