LCD monitors that accept RGBS at 15.75 Khz?

Does anyone know of any models of LCD monitor that can do this? I've heard rumours that some LCS monitors will accept RGBS at 5.75Kh through the VGA port.

Reply to
John

Good luck. I tried on some older "diamond view" LCD monitors, they did display a picture but it was very unstable and unacceptable.

Modern ones I have tried show "signal out of range" or similar message.

One case locally was a bowling alley that had a 15.75 scoring system, that ran traditional RGB CRT monitors for the scoring displays.

The 20 year old CRT's had bad screen burn and poor brightness and colour, and they wanted an upgrade to LCD and ran into same problem.

He obtained a "scan converter" board that converted the signal over to VGA, this worked well (about $120) but in the end it was decided to source new CRT's as this was cheaper than 12 converter boards, 12 LCD monitors and the hassle of rebuilding the enclosures to suit them, while looking neat in a public environment.

I can find out details of the board if you want to buy one.

The only other suggestion is that you possibly look at an LCD television, as they are a TV set, they should run (or internally convert from 15.75 and if they have a VGA (or other RGB type) socket - it just MIGHT accept RGB at the frequency you want.

Possibly also more expensive than the standard PC monitor (especially if you already have a spare PC monitor hanging round) and converter board too ?

Reply to
KR

Thanks, but I know about the rate doublers, I was hoping for a cleaner solution.

I'd prefer that as well, so I could get the other inputs... composite, s-video etc. But I don't want to go around buying TVs just to test if they work the way I want them to. I've tried talking to salespeople at JBs and other tv stores, but they don't know what I'm talking about. Most of them barely know what a scart plug is.

Reply to
John

_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z_ snipped-for-privacy@y28g2000prd.googlegroups.com...

VGA

VGA

y I

n't

That was a problem I was thinking after writing this post.

One idea would be to take the gear with you and try it (see below, if its too bulky to be portable)

or agree to buy on condition that it works on the standard you want, or offer return/exchange if it doesn't. Im pretty sure (for example) that DSE and Big W still offer "satisfaction guarantees" (3 month at Aldi - if they are currently selling LCD TV's) on pretty much anything you buy, and offer "no hassle" refunds if you bring it back in original condition.

You could also get them to ask the manufacturer or service centre, but they might not have a clue either with the way things are done these days.

One other possibility, I recently fixed an LG PVR for a friend at work, and discovered during the repair that it had a VGA style connector on the back, but only output 15.75 resolution (couldnt be changed to VGA). You had to go through on-screen menu to select that particular output from a choice of AV, HDMI, RGB etc.

If you have access to such a PVR, DVD player, home game console (not sure but PS 1 or 2 might have been able to support RGB) etc (or can get from dump sale, garage sale for next to nothing), that can output this signal you could take it along when buying and plug it in to see if it works.

Even if it doesnt play, but you can get an on-screen menu coming out the VGA socket at 15.75, it should do the trick.

While not related to the video compatibility:

Another problem that they had had at the bowling centre, was that their TEAC TV' sets had no "channel memory" were turned off at the mains every night when they closed, and every time they turned the power back on, someone had to go out with the IR remote and manually turn them back on, and then put them back on the AV / channel / adjust volume? every time. This was a real pain in the arse.

If you want to use your set in a similar "unattended" location, or just want to be able to unplug it to save standby power, it would also be a good idea when shopping for a TV to pick one that holds its channel / AV memory when the mains is turned off/on.

Reply to
KR

snip

For what I want to use (Consolised MVS, snes, megadrive, neo geo AES) I'm expecting to have to make the cables myself, which gets a bit tricky with no system to test them on. I wouldn't want to take an untried cable in to test a TV, if it didn't work there's no telling if it's the cable or the TV.

All very frustrating. Google tells me there are some industrial monitors that will do what I want, but they all cost silly money. Ideally I'd love to find a website with a list of RGBS compatible monitors so I can search for particular models. I'm not too fussed about the LCD's resolution or even size (17'' would be fine) because everything I'll be connecting up to it will be pretty low resolution.

Reply to
John

Dick Smith has a "no questions asked", 7 day, satisfaction guarantee and I assume many other retailers offer something similar.

Reply to
David Segall

KR's replies cover it, but since I and others I know have experienced this requirement with our Amigas, I'll add my 2c of what we have done:

- Use a scandoubler (expensive) or

- Try to use an LCD Television with S-Video input and use a TV modulator to convert our RGB to S-Video or

- Use an (LCD) television with a SCART input, SCART has been popular in Europe, and European originating brands like Grundig or Loewe are more likely to have a SCART port which supports RGB.

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

END_MASK_i?>a63jfAD$__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z__@y2=

8g2000prd.googlegroups.com...

he

he

no

st

You would probably need an arcade based group to find that info.

Reply to
KR

Option 3 sounds like the go... it never occurred to me to look for european brands specifically, for the scart connection.

For the record, just because a TV has a scart plug does not guarantee that it supports RGB input. Scart is a plug standard, configurable to support any combination of composite, svideo, RGB and (I think component) but you aren't guarenteed it will support any one specifically without looking at the model's manual.

Reply to
John

I own two CRTs with SCART plugs, one is a Thomson the other a Grundig. Another name for SCART is "Euroconnector" (or "Peritel").

Indeed, SCART plugs can support audio too!

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

his

an

any

n't

If you are going to be using video arcade games and/or consoles, you could consider this

(Note, Im not the seller and I dont know the seller, just found it during a web search last night while thinking of your problem)

At least with this sort of unit you KNOW that your game system will work with any monitor that accepts VGA, as stated it does *CGA/EGA/VGA signal auto scan (15K,24K,31K). This board and a spare computer monitor (note used LCD monitors on Ebay seem to go for $150 or less). All up this combo will cost less than a new LCD TV - that possibly wont work with what you are doing.

Finally, it seems to have buttons on the PCB to centre the picture etc, this could be a good feature if you are building into an arcade or custom cabinet, and the monitor controls arent easy to get at;

(Note that some Sega games used the 24k frequency, I found this out when trying to bench test a "Daytona" board for a guy a couple of years back using a standard monitor.

Actually now that I remember the guy never bothered to come back for it, the entire machine is still in my back shed gathering dust.)

Reply to
KR

ugh

this

tor

in

pean

hat

t any

ren't

.

TRY THIS INSTEAD, IT MIGHT WORK BETTER:

KR

ugh

this

tor

in

pean

hat

t any

ren't

.

enotsupported

And here is another one for about half the price ! It may work for what you want, looks like it might take standard TV (YUV) inouts as well.

Reply to
KR

What you really want for that is arcade video-game monitors. The OP should talk to an arcade supply/repair company.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

You can buy brand new ones for that these days!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I was thinking of larger ( >19") 4:3 monitors when I wrote that, but you are correct, new ones are ridiculously cheap when you compare with a few years back.

In this application, the problem with new monitors is that pretty much all are now wide screen, this might possibly be a problem with arcade/older console game (stretched picture), use unless you can be sure that the picture can be set to 4:3 (in the monitor, rather than in Windows or the PC) and not stretch and distort.

Even if this isnt a problem, another issue may be physically fitting a large widescreen LCD monitor into an existing arcade cabinet (to get the same screen area that was used with the original CRT) that would have been made for a 4:3 CRT screen (I dont know if the OP is planning on doing this). Also if there is existing artwork/bezel involved, this presents further problems to consider carefully.

On the other hand, these things might not be a problem, depending on OP's preference and plans, but are worth considering before running into problems after buying monitors etc.

Reply to
KR

[...]

So just buy a 19" 4:3 LCD screen for well under $200 new then. They ARE still available, (maybe not for much longer, but your list of problems is definitely premature) Hell you could even buy a brand new 17" 4:3 LCD a few months back for $100 new, but I think they are all gone now. I'll sell mine for that though.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T