Compact disc doesn't spin

Got it. I always assumed the laser needed a spin to focus. Working on those things back in the 80's when they first hit the market and the vast majority were warranty items it was more time effective to just shotgun the entire mechanism than to spend more than 10 minutes troubleshooting. I made the most money per piece with a horribly low minimum wage salary. And the facility was well stocked with factory replacements. So it was check a mental flow chart, if it was a tweak or a mechanical problem that could be buttoned up in 15 minutes then it actually got some repair. Otherwise it was pulled and replaced. So even though countless boxed units from several retail chains made it to my work area, I didn't have the time to get real intimate with the workings. By the 90's I switch from consumer to pro audio repair for a friend who did Yamaha warranty. Better pay and I got to spend more time with power amps, synths, etc...

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

first things first. get a q tip and moisten it with some isopropyl alcohol or tape head cleaner. gently clean the lens and try again. if no joy, then you may need to replace the ribbon cable or optical block. some units come with the whole motor/sled/block and pcb as one, others not. In some cases, a bad spindle motor can give what you describe. common in cheap dvd players. If the psu strains as the dic tries to spin, then more so!

-B