Compact disc doesn't spin

On a Sharp Mini Component System (model CD-C420), the compact disc turns very slowly or moves only about 1" and then stops.

How can I check to see if something is slipping? Is there a belt?

Reply to
GARY

I would doubt there is any belt. More likely the spindle motor's lubrication has dried up too much.

In some cases these motors can be taken apart and relubed, but this is not a job for the squeamish! Too many things can go wrong...

I'd attempt it on my own gear, and have been successful, but I fix things all day long, so have lots of practice in taking things apart in such a way that they are likely to work when I put them back together.

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

That is because you did not finalize the CD-R. Put the CD-R back in the computer and use Windows to finalize the disk.

Reply to
Christen Alex

Maybe the disc is not recognized because the lens is dirty or the laser too weak.

Does this happen with real CDs or only with CD-R? The latter is reflecting less light and thus causes more problems.

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Heimers

They are real CDs (which contain music, audio-books, etc); they are not recordable CDs (CD-Rs).

Reply to
GARY

No belt, direct drive. Any error code on the display like LO1 RO1 ?

Meat Plow

No error-code.

After the 3 discs are cycled over the lens, the display says "No Disc".

Reply to
GARY

Logic suggests that the player is not "seeing" the disks. You might have problems with the laser other than it being dirty.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

You've got problems in the logic portion. If it were a laser problem the disc would rotate and the sled would slide the laser block in and out looking for a disc ID. A logic failure might mean a total failure of this initialization procedure. There may be a small switch or optical sensor telling the logic control that there are discs loaded. I think I would start there given the symptoms.

Meat Plow

If you read the previous post, you'll see it is NOT a computer and the discs are NOT CD-Rs.

Reply to
GARY

To Christian Alex:

If you read the previous posts, you'll see it is NOT a computer and the discs are NOT CD-Rs.

Reply to
GARY

Often not the case, Meat. Many players will not start to spin the disc up or move the laser down its slides, unless focus lock is obtained, The movement of about an inch is often an attempt to move the disc to a different spot to retry the initial focusing operation, in case the original spot on the disc was dirty or damaged. This small movement of the disc may be carried out just the once, or several times before it gives up and declares there to be no disc ...

Just as a matter of interest, why has the OP started a new thread, instead of continuing with his original, also called "Compact disc doesn't spin" started two days ago ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Beg ya pardon. Actually called "Disc tray won't open"

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The original problem was the disc tray wouldn't open.

After that posting, I removed the top of the unit and discovered that

4 discs had been inserted (instead of only 3). By removing the extra disc, the disc tray then would open..

Since the original problem had been solved, I started a new thread describing the new problem: the compact disc wouldn't spin.

Reply to
GARY

Okey dokey. But as you already said this in the original thread, that's where I posted my original reply regarding this 'new' problem. Did you see that ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Maybe the additional disc that was jammed bent, scratched or broke off part of the optical system? The lens should be able to slightly move in all directions. When started, the player usually first tries to adjust the focus by moving the lens up and down. Does it do that?

Reply to
Stefan Heimers

rt

cus

Yes, the lens move up and down.

Reply to
GARY

rt

cus

Yes, the lens moves up and down.

Reply to
GARY

I must be thinking of a DVD. Looking at this portable player with a window to see the disk as soon as the lid is closed the disc rotates and then the sled moves in and out. Been too long since I've worked on a CD player to remember if they do the same I guess.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

No, no. You're quite right. Some players do just go ahead and spin the disc up regardless, but by far the most common scheme is to first home the laser, which is usually just a little shuffle if it's already home, then to obtain focus, and when that is achieved, spin up the disc and get the tracking servo locked before finally starting to read data to extract the timing for the spindle servo. Once all of that is acomplished, the TOC is read in.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily