My neighbor asked me to look at the battery charger for her leaf blower. It was dead, no lights came on and the battery wouldn't charge. I don't have electronics skills but I guess I could take it apart and look for a fuse or something obvious. It was an 18V Ridgid, if that matters.
So find my tamper proof Torx set, open it up and look. Youtube says the transformer is weakly attached and these always break the solder joint to the board. Nope. But the board looks like it has a hairline crack - no, it rubs off, it's like a very fine line of spider silk. I pulled several of these off.
Then I plugged it in thinking I might be able to trace voltage but it started working again and it charged the battery fine.
I know it's always better to be lucky than good, but did that material make a difference, or was it just coincidence that taking it apart and handling it did some good?